Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting Ikea Effektiv Cabinet on drywall with metal studs

Another question for those with more experience than me. I have done
several searches with google and called my local Ikea store but I'm
still not happy about the "best" method I have found so far to mount
Ikea Effektiv wall cabinets.

The only information I've found on the web about mounting these
cabinets comes from:
http://melissa-knits.blogspot.com/20...-effektiv.html

Ms Morgan-Oakes hung her cabinets by putting one Ikea mounting bracket
over a stud, and then used a 2inch L bracket inside the top of the
cabinet at the next stud to tie the top of the cabinet to the wall.
She didn't use the remaining Ikea mounting bracket.

I'm a bit concerned that if I put heavy items in these cabinets that
with metal studs they will pull out of the wall.

The cabinets are for office use and have flush backs, so no room for
2x4s or kitchen cabinet rails. Here is the Ikea page on the cabinets:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/30050140
Weight: 13.9 kg (30.6 lb)
Width: 85 cm (33.5 in)
Depth: 36 cm (14.2in)
Height: 42 cm (16.5in)

As you can see there are two beige plastic covers that go over two L-
brackets that Ikea supplies to support the cabinet once you choose
appropriate mounting hardware. The holes in the backets align with
holes in the backs of the cabinets and are 29.5 inches apart
laterally. I have metal studs in my drywalls which are 16 inches on
center. I have two of these cabinets and I'd like to hang them side
by side which means that only one of the mounting brackets would line
up with a wall stud.

I've been to Home Depot and considered the following options:
A. follow the L-bracket into studs approach
B. use large shelf supports under the cabinets to support them
C. use a 1x2 under the cabinets screwed into the studs to support
them, and L-brackets to tie them back

B would be ugly, I'm not ready to trust A yet, and C might the best
option.

In addition to requesting additional ideas (other than 2x4s, kitchen
cabinet rails, cables, chains, a plywood backer, a metal plate backer
-- though if that's the best way then so be it) I'd also appreciate
information about what size metal drywall screws to use (length and
diameter), and what size toggle bolts to use for the Ikea brackets
that don't line up with the studs.

Thanks for your attention,
-Jason

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 15, 12:27 am, Jason Harrison wrote:
[...]

Remove a strip of sheetrock horizontally about 3" wide and spanning
several studs and replace it with a strip of plywood or furring the
same thickness as the removed sheetrock, screw that to the studs and
the cabinets to the strip. All will be concealed behind the
cabinets.
Also there is an Ikea group online -google IKEAFANS, very wide
knowledge base there.

If you go with toggle bolts keep in mind they have weight ranges in
the package and you may need a flat washer under the machine screw
head to hold the ikea metal piece tha engages the hanger.

I did a Varde kitchen recently, and a bath with a bunch of funny names
beginning with V

Posted to alt.home.repair

For those following this discussion the recommended website is
http://www.ikeafans.com

-Jason

On Sep 15, 6:53 am, beecrofter wrote:

Remove a strip of sheetrock horizontally about 3" wide and spanning
several studs and replace it with a strip of plywood or furring the
same thickness as the removed sheetrock, screw that to the studs and
the cabinets to the strip. All will be concealed behind the
cabinets.
Also there is an Ikea group online -google IKEAFANS, very wide
knowledge base there.

If you go with toggle bolts keep in mind they have weight ranges in
the package and you may need a flat washer under the machine screw
head to hold the ikea metal piece tha engages the hanger.

I did a Varde kitchen recently, and a bath with a bunch of funny names
beginning with V

metal studs in partition walls? AA UK diy 3 December 7th 06 12:23 AM
Studs behind drywall SAl Home Repair 5 October 28th 06 03:17 AM
Can I hang cabinets from metal studs? Brian Elfert Woodworking 44 March 30th 05 02:28 AM
Source for metal studs Mark Davis Woodworking 2 January 27th 05 10:55 PM
Drywall screws for metal studs prone to strip, please help. andy everett Home Repair 2 August 23rd 03 07:10 PM