Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replacing a doorbell

Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace
it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5
inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other
models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace
it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5
inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other
models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?

Yes. I'll be surprised if anyone in this newsgroup can tell you which ones
have the same screw arrangement, unless by some stroke of luck equivalent to
winning Powerball, someone just happens to have such a doorbell.

Go to Nutone's web site and download some of their installation guides.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace
it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5
inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other
models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?
--
Replace you know what by j to email

These days there just aren't many hard wired doorbell manufacturers. Many
Nutone models use the same chime mechanism, with different covers, so any
similar model should use the same screw holes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:32:22 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

These days there just aren't many hard wired doorbell manufacturers.

I want a hard-wired one because the house already has the wires.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:32:22 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

These days there just aren't many hard wired doorbell manufacturers.

I want a hard-wired one because the house already has the wires.

Did you find the information you needed on Nutone's web site? It's
definitely there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jan Philips wrote:
Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace
it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5
inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other
models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?

Don't lose sleep over the different mounting pattern. Unless this is a
young house, you are probably gonna need to do some touch-up painting
anyway, unless the new doorbell housing is huge. They don't weigh much,
a couple molly anchors through the drywall will hold it up just fine, if
it doesn't happen to line up with a stud. Make sure the new one you buy
has the same wiring pattern and voltage as the old one. I haven't
installed a new doorbell in years- in the old days they came with
mounting kits. (Come to think of it, I need to replace mine before I
sell the place, since it just kinda goes 'dink'...)

If the new one comes with a transformer, the hardest part will be
finding the old transformer and switching it out, if the voltage is
different. Mine is actually up in the attic, hung off the junction box
that feeds the bathroom lights. Rational electricians put them right
beside the service panel. But they can be damn near anywhere.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:19:02 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Did you find the information you needed on Nutone's web site? It's
definitely there.

I looked at their website but I haven't gotten into the details of the
mounting arrangement. This model isn't made anymore, but I found some
new ones on eBay, cheap. But my wife doesn't want another one like
it.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 23:42:11 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

mounting kits. (Come to think of it, I need to replace mine before I
sell the place, since it just kinda goes 'dink'...)

Ours doesn't "dong" anymore, and the "ding" is more of a "dink". And
the cover will not stay on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mounting kits. (Come to think of it, I need to replace mine before I
sell the place, since it just kinda goes 'dink'...)

Ours doesn't "dong" anymore, and the "ding" is more of a "dink". And
the cover will not stay on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Ours doesn't do anything any more. Anyone that we want to see knows to come
to the side door and we can see them. Anyone coming to the frond door is
selling magazines, wants to tell me about Jesus, or is looking for votes.
No plans to fix it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 21:58:39 -0400, Jan Philips
wrote:

Our doorbell (a Nutone LA-128WH) needs replacing. We want to replace
it with a different model. It seems to be mounted with two screws 6.5
inches apart vertically. To make it easier on me, are there other
models (not necessarily Nutone) that mount the same way?

Don't sweat the mounting. Buy the one that you want and a box of
these-
http://www.amazon.com/Red-Head-EZ25-...0227390&sr=1-1
[Red Head E-Z anchors]

I drive the screw first. if it hits a stud, fine-- if not, I drive an
E-Z anchor. [they break if you hit a stud]

Buy the big box- you'll be glad you have some for next time.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jan Philips" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:32:22 -0400, "RBM" wrote:

These days there just aren't many hard wired doorbell manufacturers.

I want a hard-wired one because the house already has the wires.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

I'm not suggesting to get a battery operated chime, only that in hard wired
units, your choices are really limited

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Did you find the information you needed on Nutone's web site? It's
definitely there.

I looked at their website but I haven't gotten into the details of the
mounting arrangement. This model isn't made anymore, but I found some
new ones on eBay, cheap. But my wife doesn't want another one like
it.

You don't need info on YOUR model. You said you wanted a NEW one with the
same screw spacing. Every product I've checked at the Nutone web site has
installation instructions available for download on the SAME PAGE as each
model. Same for their fans.

Sheesh....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 07:41:57 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

You don't need info on YOUR model. You said you wanted a NEW one with the
same screw spacing. Every product I've checked at the Nutone web site has
installation instructions available for download on the SAME PAGE as each
model. Same for their fans.

Sheesh....

Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding. What I was saying is
that I would be happy with a direct replacement, which I can get on
eBay. That would be the easiest for me to replace and also pretty
cheap. My wife doesn't want to do that, though. She wants a different
model, which may not even be a Nutone. When I first posted the
question I didn't know that she definitely did not want the same kind.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

You don't need info on YOUR model. You said you wanted a NEW one with the
same screw spacing. Every product I've checked at the Nutone web site has
installation instructions available for download on the SAME PAGE as each
model. Same for their fans.

Sheesh....

Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding. What I was saying is
that I would be happy with a direct replacement, which I can get on
eBay. That would be the easiest for me to replace and also pretty
cheap. My wife doesn't want to do that, though. She wants a different
model, which may not even be a Nutone. When I first posted the
question I didn't know that she definitely did not want the same kind.

It doesn't matter what kind you get or where you buy it. It's unlikely
anyone on usenet will be able to tell you about the screw spacing of a new
unit unless they own it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:07:20 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

It doesn't matter what kind you get or where you buy it. It's unlikely

At least all I've checked are on 16 VAC.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Posted to alt.home.repair

news
wrote:

It doesn't matter what kind you get or where you buy it. It's unlikely

At least all I've checked are on 16 VAC.

Uh oh. ADHD problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

mounting kits. (Come to think of it, I need to replace mine before I
sell the place, since it just kinda goes 'dink'...)

Ours doesn't "dong" anymore, and the "ding" is more of a "dink". And
the cover will not stay on.
--
Replace you know what by j to email

Ours doesn't do anything any more. Anyone that we want to see knows to
come to the side door and we can see them. Anyone coming to the frond
door is selling magazines, wants to tell me about Jesus, or is looking
for votes. No plans to fix it.

Oh, I quite agree. But I know that when I put the place up for sale,
that will be one of the things they will check. That is the only reason
I will replace it, probably when I am doing the punchlist after the
garage sale, as I am loading the moving van. It can wait till I see a
tolerable one on the remainder table at one of the local borgs. Nobody
ever rings the front door that I really wanna talk to either. If it is
somebody official like a cop or fireman, they will bang on the door if
the bell brings no response.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 16:24:55 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
At least all I've checked are on 16 VAC.

Uh oh. ADHD problem.

No, someone suggested that I should make sure the voltage matches the
transformer I have. The standard seems to be 16 VAC.
--
Replace you know what by j to email
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
At least all I've checked are on 16 VAC.

Uh oh. ADHD problem.

No, someone suggested that I should make sure the voltage matches the
transformer I have. The standard seems to be 16 VAC.

That is the most common by far, and NuTone standard for many decades.
But I have seen anywhere from 12 to 24 volts. Odds are you are fine, but
that is one of those simple-to-check things you feel awful stupid about
if it doesn't match.

--
aem sends...

Doorbell help eastender[_3_] UK diy 10 January 29th 09 10:48 PM
doorbell Eric Home Repair 9 October 17th 06 04:05 AM
i want a doorbell that.... xrongor Home Repair 9 February 1st 05 02:12 AM
Doorbell that you can shu barry martin Home Repair 2 December 13th 04 11:02 PM
Outside doorbell Martin Pentreath UK diy 11 November 5th 04 01:02 AM