Posted to alt.home.repair

Default improve cooling to the bedroom

I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help the
air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hugh Wong wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my
house. Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about
5 degrees warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is
the farthest distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5
ton A/C. The house is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient
flow and cooling. There are about 7 vents throughout the house. I
tried temporarily installing a stove exhaust fan just outside the air
duct but that didn't seem to help the air flow or the cooling. Any
ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Put in a window unit. You can get a new one for less than $150.

I did that and cut my cooling bills by 2/3rds, saving the cost of the unit
in two months.

That was three years ago.

I'm gonna buy a mongoose with the money I saved. Or maybe something else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Hugh Wong wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my
house. Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about
5 degrees warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is
the farthest distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5
ton A/C. The house is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient
flow and cooling. There are about 7 vents throughout the house. I
tried temporarily installing a stove exhaust fan just outside the air
duct but that didn't seem to help the air flow or the cooling. Any
ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Put in a window unit. You can get a new one for less than $150.

I did that and cut my cooling bills by 2/3rds, saving the cost of the unit
in two months.

That was three years ago.

I'm gonna buy a mongoose with the money I saved. Or maybe something else.

Or, if a window unit is not feasible put up a ceiling fan. Get one with
a remote control.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hugh Wong" wrote in message
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help
the air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

Insulate the plenum and trunk lines with FSKL, at least 1-1/2". Also add
another run into the bedroom. There is no way seven runs is enough for a
house that large, unless the individual runs are huge. Also, throw out that
restrictive allergy-gard filter if you are using one. You want a high
velocity throw-away if a one inch slot is all you have.

Actually, rereading your post; five tons of air through seven 6" runs equals
a no air flow ice cube anyway. You better have a pro check that system
thoroughly.

HTH, Lefty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hugh Wong wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my
house. Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about
5 degrees warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is
the farthest distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5
ton A/C. The house is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient
flow and cooling. There are about 7 vents throughout the house. I
tried temporarily installing a stove exhaust fan just outside the air
duct but that didn't seem to help the air flow or the cooling. Any
ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Partially close all the other ducts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 1:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help the
air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

You could have a duct balancing damper closed for the duct run to the
bedroom. Go to the main Trunk Duct off of the Blower Unit and youll
see the branch ducts coming off of it ; throttle down the duct
dampers about 50 percent to the rooms closest to the blower and open
the duct dampers for the longer runs. Make sure your Blower is up on
high speed, the air filter is clean , and the a/c is fully charged on
freon. You most likely need an additional duct ran to the bedroom so
you get adequate air to the space--have an additional well sized duct
ran . Right off hand, 7 supply registers for a 2,000 cfm / 5 ton
cooling system is not enough . Im willing to bet your air
distrubition system is choked down hurting the performance .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 1:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help the
air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

A bigger supply to the room
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 22, 7:28*pm, " wrote:
On Jul 22, 1:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:

[...]

It is recommended that you run your blower on the medium setting to
remove humidity,

Also, I've owned 3 homes and none of them had a "duct balancing
damper".
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 22, 2:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:
I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help the
air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

If this problem has just occurred, have you checked for duct leaks?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 10:06*pm, Ron wrote:
On Jul 22, 7:28*pm, " wrote:

On Jul 22, 1:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:

[...]

damper".- Hide quoted text -

No, you want to move the maximum cfm possible for cooling and a lower
cfm for heating . If you have a home without duct balancing dampers,
then you had a system that was cut corners on ; the rooms farthest
away from the blower will starve for air while the ones closest will
get too much .

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 6:39*am, wrote:
On Jul 22, 11:07*pm, Ron wrote:

On Jul 22, 2:10*pm, "Hugh Wong"
wrote:

I would like to improve the air flow to the master bedroom in my house.
Presently, the air is not as cool as it should be. It's about 5 degrees
warmer than the other rooms. Physically, this bedroom is the farthest
distance from the main unit which is a Day and Night, 5 ton A/C. The house
is 1700 sq ft. All the other rooms have sufficient flow and cooling. There
are about 7 vents throughout the house. I tried temporarily installing a
stove exhaust fan just outside the air duct but that didn't seem to help the
air flow or the cooling. Any ideas on how to rectify this problem?

Thanks.

Hugh

If this problem has just occurred, have you checked for duct leaks?

I see two big issues:

1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.

2 - 5 tons for a 1700 sq ft house sounds over-sized, provided the
house is of reasonable insulation and the windows aren't open in
Miami * I have a 3100 sq ft house in NJ and mine is that size. *In new
x6 houses here that are over 4000 sq ft they are putting in around 6
tons, split between 2 systems.

I'd get a pro in to evaluate the whole thing. *It's likely you are
throwing $$$ out in energy bills that are higher than they should be.- Hide quoted text -

Its possible he requires a 5 ton system for his 1700 sq ft. if he
lives in south Florida or southern Arizona and has little or no shade,
alot of glass facing south, and minimal attic insulation. But hes
going to need more than 7 supply registers to get the 2000 cfm out
assuming `14x6 " registers (or smaller) . The return is also going to
be a factor too as they most likely undersized that too. I see it all
the time even in very expensive homes over $1 million . Its amazing
what they get away with.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 6:52*am, Smitty Two wrote:ui
In article
,

wrote:
wh 1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.
rto
Several people have said this now. Might as well start my own A/C
education somewhere, since I sort of own one now for the first time. Why
would you need more than one vent per room?

1. Because the room size (load) might require more airflow than what
one register can deliver . 2. Because the room may be configured to
where a single register wont distribute the air well enough . 3.
Because the heat gain of the room might require multiple registers to
deliver enough conditioned air to satisfy it. 4. Because one
register might be too noisy if youre trying to push too much cfm thru
it . 5. Too be sure youre moving enough air over the cooling coil
to prevent freezeup especially during low load on the system.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 7:52*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.

Several people have said this now. Might as well start my own A/C
education somewhere, since I sort of own one now for the first time. Why
would you need more than one vent per room?

So that the system heats and cools evenly. I just took a quick count
of my house. I have 22 outlet vents. That's in a house that's 3100
sq ft, 4.5 ton AC. Seems about right to me. So for a house of
1700 sq ft, I'd expect around 12, not 7. Several of my rooms have 3
registers each. Every house I've ever lived in, including small
single story ranch, have had at least some rooms with more than one
vent.

Having 5 tons of AC with 7 vents just ain't Kosher.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 23, 12:48*pm, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.

Several people have said this now. Might as well start my own A/C
education somewhere, since I sort of own one now for the first time. Why
would you need more than one vent per room?

So that the system heats and cools evenly. * I just took a quick count
of my house. *I have 22 outlet vents. *That's in a house that's 3100
sq ft, 4.5 ton AC. * Seems about right to me. * *So for a house of
1700 sq ft, I'd expect around 12, not 7. * Several of my rooms have 3
registers each. *Every house I've ever lived in, including small
single story ranch, have had at least some rooms with more than one
vent.

io
Having 5 tons of AC with 7 vents just ain't Kosher.

All right then. Next time I visit my A/C house, I'm going to count vents
and check the size of the unit. What should I expect in the way of
returns?- Hide quoted text -

Return air configurations come in a variety of ways. 1. There is the
ONE huge central return air grille often put in the second floor
ceiling at the top of the stairs which is ducted back to the Air
Handler. 2. There are TWO large return air grilles...one on the
first floor ceiling and one on the second floor ceiling...both
ducted. 3. A number of return air grilles placed high on the inside
walls of both downstairs and upstairs and ducted back. 4. A return
air grille in EACH room (except the bathroom) and ducted back. In
order to know if the return air duct system was properly sized, youd
have to have a knowledgeable professional come out to determine the
size(s) and how much each return air duct can handle in cfm airflow.
I can tell you this fairly accurate rule of thumb : The return air
duct area feeding a 2000 cfm (5 ton a/c system) such as yours,
requires One 18" dia. round duct or Two 14" dia. round ducts (or
equivalent retangular ducts in sq. inch area) . Hope this gives you
a bit more insight. In addition, you need to make sure your air
filter(s) , cooling coil surface , blower wheel ...are all very clean
in addition to the system being full on freon and working properly .
Ideally, you should bite the bullet and have a professional come out
and thoroughly examine the entire system and equipment. Regards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 22, 8:06*pm, Ron wrote:

It is recommended that you run your blower on the medium setting to
remove humidity,

Also, I've owned 3 homes and none of them had a "duct balancing
damper".-

FYI
Dave (ilbebauck's real name) is a HVAC hack.
Just ask any of the real techs in alt.hvac what they think about him
and his "advice"
Be sure to mention daveinlakevilla and daveinillinois, nics he was
using there untill he was chased off
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/23/2010 7:53 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jul 23, 7:52 am, Smitty wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.

Several people have said this now. Might as well start my own A/C
education somewhere, since I sort of own one now for the first time. Why
would you need more than one vent per room?

You need to move a certain amount of air through a system based on the
size to make it operate correctly. So it's got nothing to do with how
many rooms he has, it's because of the system size he believes he
has. Even with mediocre insulation 5 ton is pretty big for a house
that small. If you don't move enough air across the coil it's
temperature could drop below freezing. When that happens the
condensation freezes on the coil instead of draining.

Even here in Alabamastan, a well insulated 2 story home can be cooled
by a 2 ton AC unit, it's all about heat load. I have one customer who
has a new home and the upstairs heat pump is larger than the downstairs
unit, why? Because the upstairs has some very large windows that reach
all the way to some very high ceilings.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
1 - 7 vents for the entire house can't be enough.

Several people have said this now. Might as well start my own A/C
education somewhere, since I sort of own one now for the first time. Why
would you need more than one vent per room?

You need to move a certain amount of air through a system based on the
size to make it operate correctly. *So it's got nothing to do with how
many rooms he has, it's because of the system size he believes he
has. *Even with mediocre insulation 5 ton is pretty big for a house
that small. *If you don't move enough air across the coil it's
temperature could drop below freezing. *When that happens the
condensation freezes on the coil instead of draining.

But the number of vents means nothing. *The size of the vents and ducts to
them is what is important. * There are units that large operating perfectly
with only one or two vents too. *Big ones.- Hide quoted text -

In a residential application, you are limited by how big the supply
registers/boots are especially if the ducts are run down a stud
space ..therefore, the quantify of ducts IS important in such
instances. If the ducts are ran in the attic into the second floor
ceiling with the airhandler located in the attic too, then you have
much more leeway on the size of ducts , etc.. His best bet is to get
a professional out to his house to look it all over , as those of us
replying here cant see the entire installation from our laptops...and
can only offer up some vital considerations in a general sense.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

It still goes back to the size. If you have ten ducts of the wrong size,
cooling is is not as good as five of the correct size. Sure, you may need
two if the space for one is too small, but no matter the number, the size is
the overriding concern.

His best bet is to get
a professional out to his house to look it all over , as those of us
replying here cant see the entire installation from our laptops...and
can only offer up some vital considerations in a general sense.

Agree, if simple steps don't fix it