Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I replace the metal pipe water input to the toilet with aflexible one?

Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water input.
The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type pipe that
goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water input.
The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type pipe that
goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

Yes. Just make sure you get a cable with the correct size ends.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 12:27*pm, Unused Classified wrote:
Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water input.
The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type pipe that
goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

If you can screw and unscrew the pipe using pliers, you will be fine.
Like the earlier poster said, get the right-sized ends. Best thing to
do is shut the water off, remove the existing pipe and take it with
you to your hardware store and have them pick out the right
replacement. Be SURE to get one with stainless steel braid on the
outside to reduce the chances of a burst pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

hr(bob) wrote:
[...]

And leave a pan under the valve while you are gone. Many old valves leak a bit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unused Classified wrote:
Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water input.
The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type pipe that
goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

I can't imagine anyone replacing a toilet supply line with anything OTHER
than a flexible line - at least the DIY kind of folks who lack the
tools/skills to mess with bending, flaring, and cursing copper pipe.

You do not need a plumber.

1. Turn off the water.
2. Remove the exsting supply pipe.
3. Take the pipe, with the connectors, to the box store. Tell them you want
to replace what you have in your hand with a flexible hose.
4. Whatever they give you, get the next longest length. It may be 4" longer,
but that's okay.
5. Invest an additional fifty cents in some Teflon pipe tape or a couple of
bucks in plumbers putty for the joints.

Tip: If you're going to cut off the water to your house - instead of just at
the toilet supply valve - replace the crappy valve while you're there with a
quater-turn ball valve. Follow step #3 above to replace the valve.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:
[...]

The flex connections I've bought have rubber seals. Teflon tape would not be
useful on them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:

Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water input.
The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type pipe that
goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

Yes. Just make sure you get a cable with the correct size ends.

Don't be too hasty, we haven't yet heard what size fittings are on that
bidet valve which sounds like it mounts onto the outlet fitting of the
shut off valve.

The OP had better check that out before he runs to the store to purchase
a flex line, huh?

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia