Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Can I replace the metal pipe water input to the toilet with a flexible one?

HeyBub wrote:
Unused Classified wrote:
Hi
I purchased a bidet attachement for the toilet.
The bidet comes with a valve that must be attached to the water
input. The instructions say that you must have a flexible tube type
pipe that goes from the water lead to the tank, and I do not.
Mine has a metal pipe, but I'm wondering if it can be easily replaced
by a flexible tube.
Please see the pic, it looks lile this metal pipe can be unscrewed
near the valve.
Or does this call for a plumber?
Thanks

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/8060/toilet2.jpg

I can't imagine anyone replacing a toilet supply line with anything
OTHER than a flexible line - at least the DIY kind of folks who lack
the tools/skills to mess with bending, flaring, and cursing copper
pipe.
You do not need a plumber.

1. Turn off the water.
2. Remove the exsting supply pipe.
3. Take the pipe, with the connectors, to the box store. Tell them
you want to replace what you have in your hand with a flexible hose.
4. Whatever they give you, get the next longest length. It may be 4"
longer, but that's okay.
5. Invest an additional fifty cents in some Teflon pipe tape or a
couple of bucks in plumbers putty for the joints.

Tip: If you're going to cut off the water to your house - instead of
just at the toilet supply valve - replace the crappy valve while
you're there with a quater-turn ball valve. Follow step #3 above to
replace the valve.

The flex connections I've bought have rubber seals. Teflon tape would not be
useful on them.