Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pool filtration -- fine dust

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Don Phillipson wrote:
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

I don't know nuthink about pools, really, but I'd think best bet would
be to install 10 micron filters on supply line to minimize the amount
introduced.

As for collection of what's there, no real idea other than also
filtering the recycle altho don't know what that capacity might entail.

I'd presume a pool service company of any competence could respond
appropriately.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:26*pm, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. * So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. *It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

What you need is to add a flocculant to your pool water. Very small
particles can't be filtered. The flocculant makes then clump together
so they are big enough to be filtered. It's a commonly available pool
chemical.
Bit about the science here.:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flocculant#Flocculants
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:26:00 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. That solved a bunch
of problems for us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote the following:

wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. That solved a bunch
of problems for us.

It is hard beat a paper cartridge filter for keeping your pool clean.
DE is pretty good but where do you dispose of the DE? Dumping it in
the sewer is not really appreciated by the utility and you certainly
don't want it in a septic system.

I backwash DE from my 26,000 gallon inground pool onto the back lawn,
and have been doing so for 24 years. It has no negative effect on the
lawn and the rain spreads it out even further. It kinda gets absorbed
into the ground, so that year to year, you can't locate where it had
been dumped.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

What floc is made for. :-) If you want it cleaned up fast used the vacuum
method.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/18/2010 10:46 AM, harry wrote:
On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don wrote:
[...]

Flocculation sounds like some of that weird sex the Brits practice.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don *wrote:
[...]

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Did you not check out the link you old pervert?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. * So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. *It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. *The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. *That solved a bunch
of problems for us.

There is no problem with sand filters. They are cheap to run and can
be backwashed to "as new" condition for years.
BTW all you need to do with the flocculant chemical is chuck a bit in
the pool spreading it as far around as possible and wait a few days
for the water to go through the filters. If it's then OK, you won't
need any more until the next time you refill the pool because all the
crap has been fitered out. If it's not OK add a little more & wait &
observe. Etc.
There's lots of different flocculants some will be better for you than
others. Your local pool chemical company will advise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2010 12:56 AM, harry wrote:

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist, the Devil made me do it.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 18/07/10 7:26 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

A flocculent might help, but the long term solution is to install a DE
filter (and perhaps use Fiber Clear rather than DE). A cartridge filter
would also work, and is less of a hassle than DE, especially with the
addition of Fiber Clear (yes, you can add it to cartridge filters to
decrease the particle size it filters from around 10 microns to 2
microns). Sand filters do not filter small particles, which is likely
what's causing your problem.

From
"http://swimming.about.com/od/poolandspamaintenance/a/choose_filter.htm"

"In terms of particle size filtered out, sand is the lease sic
effective method – it can allow smaller particles to pass back into the
pool."

I've got a 4 cartridge PentAir filter and it works really well. It
causes very little back pressure on the pump, in fact unless it's really
dirty the pressure is close to zero. The instructions suggested adding
Fiber Clear to increase the effectiveness of the cartridges.

Depending on the size of your pool, you might even put a single
cartridge filter in series with the sand filter and let the cartridge
filter trap the finer particles. I originally had a single cartridge
filter but it was sized way too small for the size of my pool (40,000
gallons) and I had to clean it much too frequently.

Finally, you might just want to fill the pool with non-well water if you
also have piped in water. Too much calcium is not good for the pool.
Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

On 18/07/10 11:05 PM, harry wrote:
wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. That solved a bunch
of problems for us.

There is no problem with sand filters.

The problem with sand filters is that they don't filter very small
particles, requiring the use of a flocculent if you have the need to
filter small particles. Occasional use of a flocculent is okay but it's
not a substitute for proper filtration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don * *wrote:
[...]

My God Duf, you're not some kind of Yank religious nut are you?
Mooney Scientolgist Anabaptist?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 10:26*am, "Don Phillipson" wrote:
Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. * So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. *It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Your problem is not a pool filtering problem... It is a water
chemistry issue...

If you put crappy water into your pool, it can have all sorts of fun
chemical
reactions with the chemicals in your pool...

Your particular situation is resulting in a fine rusty precipitate
settling out
of the water...

Solve the problem where it is, namely the water source, rather than
the
visible symptom by trying to filter the problem out of the pool water
after
it is already in the pool...

Sounds like a water softener and reverse osmosis water filtration
setup
to filter out the fine dissolved solids from your well water would do
you
more than trying to filter crap out of the pool after it is causing
problems...

Do you have problems in the house, specifically in the dishwasher and
washing machine ?

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
[...]

I've read all the responses for filtering the water first but it seems to me
he puts in the initial amount of water, say 35,000 gal, and adds maybe a
1000 to 2000 every 1 to 2 weeks if there isn't much rain. So he's really
only using floc with the vast majority of water one time. With a touch up
every 4 to 6 months. Which wouldn't hurt anyway to keep other particulates
out. From personal experience floc is the cheaper way to go. He wouldn't
want to use RO water because with some RO system you burn 4 gallons for
every gallon of filtered water. Even if he could find one that was 1 gal for
every gallon I'd think it was a huge waste of water. Just my opinion. g

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 16:04:30 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

Sounds like a water softener and reverse osmosis water filtration
setup to filter out the fine dissolved solids from your well water would do
you more than trying to filter crap out of the pool after it is causing
problems...

Fail.

Softened water will actually damage the pool surface -- plaster.

Best I can tell.

An RO for 30,000 gallon pool? Please? Cost for a softener, add that up
real fast.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 23:05:04 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:

wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. * So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. *It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. *The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. *That solved a bunch
of problems for us.

There is no problem with sand filters. They are cheap to run and can
be backwashed to "as new" condition for years.

There's nothing wrong with them that replacement with a DE filter can't solve,
no.

BTW all you need to do with the flocculant chemical is chuck a bit in
the pool spreading it as far around as possible and wait a few days
for the water to go through the filters. If it's then OK, you won't
need any more until the next time you refill the pool because all the
crap has been fitered out. If it's not OK add a little more & wait &
observe. Etc.

A DE filter requires no flocculent, except in exceedingly rare circumstances.
I consistently had trouble with my sand filter, until I replaced it with a DE.
Only once in the next ten years did I need a flocculent.

There's lots of different flocculants some will be better for you than
others. Your local pool chemical company will advise.

Yes, but it's better not to need any at all. DE is the *only* way to go.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sounds like a water softener and reverse osmosis water filtration
setup to filter out the fine dissolved solids from your well water would
do
you more than trying to filter crap out of the pool after it is causing
problems...

Fail.

Softened water will actually damage the pool surface -- plaster.

Best I can tell.

An RO for 30,000 gallon pool? Please? Cost for a softener, add that up
real fast.

RO could produce some hefty water bills.

Thanks for the soft water tip. It never occurred to me. I'm going to get my
supply water tested tomorrow.

I don't know if the OP is following this but no one asked him how old the
sand is in his filter yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 19, 7:19*pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

[...]

Sorry, I thought you wanted a solution... If you are going to play
with
a toy filtration unit then you are correct... Even a small industrial
unit is 2:1 or 2 gallons consumed for every 1 gallon of filtered
water...

If the OP used filtration for filling his pool using consumer systems
it would take weeks...

In his situation with fouled water from a well, I would consider
having clean water delivered by a tanker truck...

~~ Evan

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sounds like a water softener and reverse osmosis water filtration
setup to filter out the fine dissolved solids from your well water would do
you more than trying to filter crap out of the pool after it is causing
problems...

Fail.

Softened water will actually damage the pool surface -- plaster.

Best I can tell.

An RO for 30,000 gallon pool? Please? Cost for a softener, add that up
real fast.

Umm... Not a fail... You are perhaps only familiar with the sodium
water softeners, there are other types out there which can be used
with other salts that cost more money...

If your pool's plaster is so fragile that a little bit of salt in the
water
(which there wouldn't BE if the OP softened the water and then
filtered it with an RO system) then the acid in the rain water must
really do a number on it...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

==

The reason you shouldn't use sw in a swimming pool is sw leaches minerals
which destroys plaster. If the OP has a vinyl pool then it may not matter.
The reason you don't use RO is RO systems use water to make pure water. Mine
uses 4 gal for every gal of filtered water. Not practical for swimming
pools. You want the minerals in the water, particularly calcium, to keep
the plaster healthy. That's why I suggested periodic floc. Or maybe the sand
in the OP's filter needs replacing. There is specialized sand for cleaning
finer particles, or maybe the sand in his filter is just old. It's supposed
to be changed every 4-5 years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Evan" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 7:19 pm, "JimT" wrote:
"Evan" wrote in message

[...]

Gee...lets see. Waste tons of money on delivered water, or waste water, or
spend a couple of bucks on floc that is designed to take care of the OP's
exact problem?

Even if it did use 2 to 1 that would be 70,000 gals of wasted water to fill
the pool. I gotta ask: Do you even own a pool?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/19/2010 12:59 PM, harry wrote:

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don wrote:
[...]

Didn't you read my post about the religious diversity of my family.
Roman Catholic, Jew and space alien on one side and Southern Baptist,
Southern Methodist, Druids and a group of people who worship some
sort of fungus that glows in the dark on the other side. I can pick on
anyone of any faith because they're my cousins.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don * * *wrote:
[...]

Duf, you never cease to amaze me. All that religion in one family!
Any of them Muslims?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/21/2010 11:30 AM, harry wrote:

On Jul 18, 3:26 pm, "Don wrote:
[...]

Heck, it wouldn't surprise me, Italians and Hillbillies will mate
with anything. There's got to be a little bit of everything in my
family tree including farm animals.

TDD