Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Pool filtration -- fine dust

wrote the following:
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:55:56 -0500, "
wrote:

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 10:26:00 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
wrote:

Our well water has high levels of calcium and some
rust. So, while the pool is clean and chemically
stabilized, still water overnight reveals next morning
ultra-fine yellowish powder on the bottom. It is so fine it
goes straight through the sand filter and back into
the pool, making the water cloudy and greenish.
Is there any cure for this, perhaps by causing the
dust to agglomerate so that the sand filter holds it?

You might find a flocculent that will stick the "dust" together so your sand
filter will grab it, but that's the problem with sand filters. The real
solution is to replace your sand filter with a DE filter. That solved a bunch
of problems for us.

It is hard beat a paper cartridge filter for keeping your pool clean.
DE is pretty good but where do you dispose of the DE? Dumping it in
the sewer is not really appreciated by the utility and you certainly
don't want it in a septic system.

I backwash DE from my 26,000 gallon inground pool onto the back lawn,
and have been doing so for 24 years. It has no negative effect on the
lawn and the rain spreads it out even further. It kinda gets absorbed
into the ground, so that year to year, you can't locate where it had
been dumped.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY