Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine starting problem

I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank~~~knows something has to be wrong

What's the voltage when it's turning over? Nearly zero I imagine.
Get a new battery.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

I too think its a battery issue. I recently had an auxiliary battery with a
bad cell. The surface voltage reading was about 12 volts, but as soon as you
put a load on it, it would go down several volts. In your case, the voltage
is enough to crank the engine, but if the voltage drops down simultaneously,
it may not be giving the coil enough voltage to make a decent spark

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

Try cleaning the battery cable, take them loose and clean where they
contact the battery.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 6:49*pm, FatterDumber& Happier Moe
wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

* Try cleaning the battery cable, take them loose and clean where they
contact the battery.

Put a known good battery in paralle with the ?? battery.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

Are you connecting the charger directly to the battery?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 5:08*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

14 v running means the charger system is probably good, you could
check voltage as it starts, but its most likely a weak battery without
any capacity, clean all connections first it could be something dirty
corroded or loose now alllowing full amperage to the starter.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I did replace a battery cable, and clean the terminals and also the
terminals on the starter and solenoid no fix. I put in KNOWN good
battery, no fix. I haven't tried jumping from another battery. I did
find that the coil wire was twisted together and replaced it with a
connector, no fix. I hook the battery charger directly to the battery,
which is the only way to get it to start.

Starter turns just as fast with charger as without charger, or good
battery. The coil was replaced thinking it was a weak coil.

I am sooooo confused.

Hank ~~~never seen this problem before

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I did replace a battery cable, and clean the terminals and also the
terminals on the starter and solenoid no fix. I put in KNOWN good
battery, no fix. I haven't tried jumping from another battery. I did
find that the coil wire was twisted together and replaced it with a
connector, no fix. I hook the battery charger directly to the battery,
which is the only way to get it to start.

Starter turns just as fast with charger as without charger, or good
battery. The coil was replaced thinking it was a weak coil.

I am sooooo confused.

Hank ~~~never seen this problem before

I could be the valves need adjusting, there is a compression release
on most small engines that allow for easier starting but the valves have
to be adjusted to specs for it work properly. The added amperage from
the additional battery might be enough to over come the extra
compression. I've got an old riding mower with a twin cylinder B&S
engine and it takes a three year battery to start it when the engine is
hot, the one year batteries just don't have enough cranking amps. Check
out some small engine forums.
And it PMO that I can buy a car battery cheaper than the dinky battery
for my riding lawnmower.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

Are you doing anything at all differently not related to the battery?
It almost sounds like there is some safety device not allowing the
engine to start. My motorcycle has a couple or so things like that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 6:40*am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

* * Are you doing anything at all differently not related to the battery?
It almost sounds like there is some safety device not allowing the
engine to start. * My motorcycle has a couple or so things like that.

On my bike those all won't let it crank either. I've not seen a
safety device that lets you crank the engine but prevents it from
starting. That would be sort of stupid as the operator could easily
run the battery down.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 5:08*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

Maybe a bad starter...loading a normal battery but having enough power
with the charger to start?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:24:41 -0700 (PDT), Bob Villa
wrote:

On Jul 13, 5:08Â*pm, "Hustlin' Hank" wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

Maybe a bad starter...loading a normal battery but having enough power
with the charger to start?

I vote for a bad battery