Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jhock

Default Small Engine muffler problem.

Since this is a metal working group, I have a problem I need help with.
I decided to put a new muffler on my 8 hp B&S aluminum block engine,
the old muffler will absolutely not come out. I have taken the engine
down to the basement as it needed some repainting anyway and have been
soaking the muffler joint with PB Blaster, Tefoil, WD 40 and then tried
some heat with the welding torch, enough to get the muffler stub red hot
but didn't want to do any damage to the aluminum engine part. I have
put a pipe wrench on the muffler and pulled, hammered, etc and it will
not budge. Have cut off the main part of the muffler so there is about
1 1/4 inch stub remaining. May have to carefully grind slots into it in
about 4 places where it threads into the engine after cutting it off
flush, before I go to this extent does anyone have any experience with
this type of metal seizing. Sorry for the long post.

Jack
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Vaughn Simon

I usually cut and collapse the pipe myself, but first I suggest that you
take your question to the Small Engine Technical Forum he
http://www.perr.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 You will get answers from people
who work on Briggs all day.

Vaughn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Jhock wrote:

[...]

Just a WAG, but since aluminum has a much larger coefficient of
expansion than steel, maybe you'd be better off heating the block around
the muffeler stub and trying to chill the steel parts with a shot of CO2
or something like that?

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:53:07 GMT, Jhock
wrote:

[...]

FWIW

I had a brand new lawn mower with a B&S engine that I wanted to
install a mosquito fogger on. Needed to drill and tap the
exhaust pipe. Natural reaction is to unscrew muffler and take it
over to the drill press. No Go. Muffler/pipe would not come
out. Had to use a drill motor and tap in place.

Unka George
(George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy
which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations;
even a democrat like myself must admit this.

But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy,
for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch,"
but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

wrote:

[...]

Last time I had this problem was on my brand new (to me) $2.00 lawn
mower with B&S engine, when the muffler fell off leaving about 1/4"
stub. I went in with a hack saw blade in 2 places and cut enough of a
groove to collapse the pipe. I used never-sieze on the replacement.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dale Scroggins

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Jhock wrote:

[...]

My technique:

Crank the engine and let it heat up. Then shut it off. Apply a birthday
cake candle to the junction of the muffler and block. Grab the muffler
or stub with pliers or a pipe wrench and spin it out. Works every time.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Carl Byrns

[...]

If you have a stick welder, run a bead around the stub as close to
the block as possible. Let cool and then unscrew with a pipe wrench.
The heat from the weld will cause the stub to shrink a bit.

-Carl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jhock

Carl Byrns wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all who responded. I have tried heating the stub with a
torch to no avail, might try the heat with torch, cool with Freon
(computer air blower upside down) also may try mig welding a nut on the
end to give a larger more reliable gripping surface, but will probably
go with carefully cutting so as to collapse the piece. Sure will use
neversieze on the new muffler.

Thanks all. Will post here what finally worked for me.
Jack
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jhock

Vaughn Simon wrote:

I usually cut and collapse the pipe myself, but first I suggest that you
take your question to the Small Engine Technical Forum he
http://www.perr.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2 You will get answers from people
who work on Briggs all day.

Vaughn

Vaughn, thanks for the tip, went over there and posted also, looks like
my type of group.

Jack
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David R Brooks

Jhock wrote:
[...]

Assuming the muffler is steel, you might (after stripping the block
down) use acid to dissolve the steel. Acid does not attack aluminium
(but alkali does).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jhock wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. I have tried heating the stub with a
torch to no avail, might try the heat with torch, cool with Freon
(computer air blower upside down) also may try mig welding a nut on the
end to give a larger more reliable gripping surface, but will probably
go with carefully cutting so as to collapse the piece. Sure will use
neversieze on the new muffler.

Thanks all. Will post here what finally worked for me.
Jack

Careful with freon-type stuff around hot items.

Burnt freon can produce phosgene gas (of WW1 fame), I'd imagine
anything similar will at least produce some nasty chlorine compounds..

Dave`