Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jhock

Default Small Engine muffler problem.

Carl Byrns wrote:
On Sat, 13 May 2006 23:53:07 GMT, Jhock wrote:

Since this is a metal working group, I have a problem I need help with.
I decided to put a new muffler on my 8 hp B&S aluminum block engine,
the old muffler will absolutely not come out. I have taken the engine
down to the basement as it needed some repainting anyway and have been
soaking the muffler joint with PB Blaster, Tefoil, WD 40 and then tried
some heat with the welding torch, enough to get the muffler stub red hot
but didn't want to do any damage to the aluminum engine part. I have
put a pipe wrench on the muffler and pulled, hammered, etc and it will
not budge. Have cut off the main part of the muffler so there is about
1 1/4 inch stub remaining. May have to carefully grind slots into it in
about 4 places where it threads into the engine after cutting it off
flush, before I go to this extent does anyone have any experience with
this type of metal seizing. Sorry for the long post.

Jack

If you have a stick welder, run a bead around the stub as close to
the block as possible. Let cool and then unscrew with a pipe wrench.
The heat from the weld will cause the stub to shrink a bit.

-Carl

Thanks to all who responded. I have tried heating the stub with a
torch to no avail, might try the heat with torch, cool with Freon
(computer air blower upside down) also may try mig welding a nut on the
end to give a larger more reliable gripping surface, but will probably
go with carefully cutting so as to collapse the piece. Sure will use
neversieze on the new muffler.

Thanks all. Will post here what finally worked for me.
Jack