Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Small engine starting problem

"Hustlin' Hank" wrote in message
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

I too think its a battery issue. I recently had an auxiliary battery with a
bad cell. The surface voltage reading was about 12 volts, but as soon as you
put a load on it, it would go down several volts. In your case, the voltage
is enough to crank the engine, but if the voltage drops down simultaneously,
it may not be giving the coil enough voltage to make a decent spark