Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small engine starting problem

On Jul 15, 6:40*am, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Hustlin' Hank wrote:
I need some ideas. It is a Yamaha atv. Battery shows 12.9 volts and
turns the engine over fine, but won't start. When I hook up a battery
charger it starts right up. Battery voltage when running is 14 volts.

Any ideas?

Hank ~~~knows something has to be wrong

* * Are you doing anything at all differently not related to the battery?
It almost sounds like there is some safety device not allowing the
engine to start. * My motorcycle has a couple or so things like that.

On my bike those all won't let it crank either. I've not seen a
safety device that lets you crank the engine but prevents it from
starting. That would be sort of stupid as the operator could easily
run the battery down.