Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do they make ..........

6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 12:52:33 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Did you google it? hehehehe

I couldn't resist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 20:38:20 GMT, (Malcolm Hoar)
wrote:

Did you google it? hehehehe

I couldn't resist

"Did you bing it?" just doesn't sound right, does it ;-)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Google

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Gotta be leach field? Ya mean the plastic stuff with holes in the
bottom- or the old clay tiles? I've got a couple pieces of the clay.
Drop by [I'm in NYg] and I'll trade you for a welding lesson.

Try a culvert place to see if they've got some scraps? Last time I
dropped by mine they were happy to part with a bunch of 8" plastic
that was busted up.

Where's the trap plans? I'm always looking for new ways to automate
my squirrel/chipmunk population control.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Buy regular 6" and drill a few holes. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Oh and do share those plans if it works.

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6"
for a squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Your city uses plastic pipe of all sizes for water and sewer (I'll bet). If
you go by the public works station house, They probably have oodles of
scraps from which you can select a piece.

You may have to drill your own holes...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Gotta be leach field? Ya mean the plastic stuff with holes in the
bottom- or the old clay tiles? I've got a couple pieces of the clay.
Drop by [I'm in NYg] and I'll trade you for a welding lesson.

Try a culvert place to see if they've got some scraps? Last time I
dropped by mine they were happy to part with a bunch of 8" plastic
that was busted up.

Where's the trap plans? I'm always looking for new ways to automate
my squirrel/chipmunk population control.

Jim

We get rock squirrels here. Huge *******s. Stripped two of my almond
trees. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky.

Going to take a big plastic barrel with no top. Cut a piece of pipe about
2x the diameter of the barrel. Make it so that it balances half on the
barrel, half sticking out at a right angle. Put a stop on the end over the
barrel so that it cannot flip up, only down. Cut said pipe down a little
into the barrel so that as it tips down, the inside of the edge of the
barrel will keep Mr. Squirrel from running out that end. Balance it exactly
so that it always returns to horizontal, hitting the stop above it. Put a
limb diagonal up to the entry of the pipe. Slather the inside with peanut
butter. Mr. Squirrel goes in, the end of the pipe rests against the upper
stop above the end, making it feel solid. And once past center, his weight
causes the pipe to tip vertical, dumping him into water that is squirrel
deep plus six inches. Inside of pipe must be slick, as inside of
white/black sewer pipe is, so he can't get any traction to run out. I think
when it tips, it will dump him so fast that he won't have time to run out,
and they weigh like three pounds, so he should drop pretty fast. He'll also
be headed downhill, so will take him a bit to turn around. Considered the
4" so that he couldn't turn around, but would have to test to see if they
will enter that small a pipe.

I was going to mount the thing like those little buckets on water features
that fill with water, then tip over to drain all the water, so that when
deceased smelly squirrel needs disposal, I shall just fill up with water,
and it will dump over canyon wall, where it will be located. Will also have
one under apple tree, current main squirrel target.

I have neighbors waiting for me to make and test these. BIG problem with
these around here. I can become rich if this works. Will post pictures on
flickr of construction, testing, and results.

;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message
6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Buy regular 6" and drill a few holes. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Oh and do share those plans if it works.

--
Colbyt

Don't want any holes, as those little buggers have claws to grab on to the
insides of the pipe. Want him to just slide down into the water, nothing to
grab for traction. I thought about this for two hours the other day while
driving to Vegas, and have a couple of brain fart/storms during the drive.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:38:48 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

If you don't post pictures of the finished product you'll be on my
**** list!
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Gordon Shumway" wrote

If you don't post pictures of the finished product you'll be on my
**** list!

If this works, I'll video it for youtube.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
-snip-

'Great minds' & all that. My first thought on the trap was it was
going to be some sort of box trap--- but then my mind went the same
place as yours.

Going to take a big plastic barrel with no top. Cut a piece of pipe about
2x the diameter of the barrel.

In my thoughts the pivot point was about 1/3 of the way over the bbl.
-snip-
limb diagonal up to the entry of the pipe. Slather the inside with peanut
butter.

Put a little on the outside, too-- so squirrel #10 can still smell
it-- and hear all the splashing and think he's missing something.g

-snip-
white/black sewer pipe is, so he can't get any traction to run out. I think
when it tips, it will dump him so fast that he won't have time to run out,
and they weigh like three pounds, so he should drop pretty fast.

I can't wait for the youtube. My guess is he'll play teeter-totter a
few times, then get greedy. Greed kills.

be headed downhill, so will take him a bit to turn around. Considered the
4" so that he couldn't turn around, but would have to test to see if they
will enter that small a pipe.

Our gray squirrels go 2-3 pounds. I'm going to try this with 4" as
soon as it cools off enough to drag a barrel out of the bushes and
knock the top off.

I was going to mount the thing like those little buckets on water features
that fill with water, then tip over to drain all the water, so that when
deceased smelly squirrel needs disposal, I shall just fill up with water,
and it will dump over canyon wall, where it will be located.

That will be the tough part for me. I think a foot of water ought to
do the deed-- and I'll dump it in place every few days if necessary.

Will also have
one under apple tree, current main squirrel target.

They've been eyeing my peach tree for a week--- 2 weeks to go til
peaches. I got *1* last year because it was the last one on the tree
and I picked it before it was ripe. Got *0* cherries this year
because of the squirrels.

I do what I can with a pellet gun- but I need a sentry on duty 24-7.
I've tried live traps- but after 2-3 in that many days, the remainders
get smart. This trap has the potential of getting a 1/2 dozen a day
& really thinning the herd.

I have neighbors waiting for me to make and test these. BIG problem with
these around here. I can become rich if this works.

Will you still talk to us peons when you've made your next billion$ ?

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message
6" leach field pipe? I have some 4", but need a piece of light 6" for a
squirrel trap. Haven't seen it at Lowe's or HD.

Steve

Buy regular 6" and drill a few holes. I don't recall ever seeing it.

Oh and do share those plans if it works.

--
Colbyt

Don't want any holes, as those little buggers have claws to grab on to the
insides of the pipe. Want him to just slide down into the water, nothing
to grab for traction. I thought about this for two hours the other day
while driving to Vegas, and have a couple of brain fart/storms during the
drive.

Steve

When you said leach field I thought you meant the one with holes. Our Lowes
has the 6" in regular and lightweight. The lightweight is near the yard
grates and stuff, not with the other pipe.

Here is all I could find quickly on the web.

Foam Core Pipe

Item #: 86806 | Model #: PVC 04600 0600

6" x 10' PVC DWV Schedule 40 Foam Core Pipe

--
Colbyt

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 8:38*am, "Colbyt" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
om...

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com

Don't want any holes, as those little buggers have claws to grab on to the
insides of the pipe. *Want him to just slide down into the water, nothing
to grab for traction. *I thought about this for two hours the other day
while driving to Vegas, and have a couple of brain fart/storms during the
drive.

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com

When you said leach field I thought you meant the one with holes. *Our Lowes
has the 6" in regular and lightweight. *The lightweight is near the yard
grates and stuff, not with the other pipe.

Here is all I could find quickly on the web.

Foam Core Pipe

Item #: 86806 *| *Model #: PVC 04600 0600

6" x 10' PVC DWV Schedule 40 Foam Core Pipe

--
Colbyt
Please come visithttp://www.househomerepair.com- Hide quoted text -

Wrap the tree with some flashing. The world has an inexhaustible
supply of squirrels. They are all hungry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Leach field pipe, as I understand. Has holes so the water can soak
into the ground. 6 inch PVC drain pipe (no holes) sounds like your
answer. That, or a lot of teenagers with air rifles. And a bounty on
squirrel heads.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

Don't want any holes, as those little buggers have claws to grab on to
the
insides of the pipe. Want him to just slide down into the water,
nothing to
grab for traction. I thought about this for two hours the other day
while
driving to Vegas, and have a couple of brain fart/storms during the
drive.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like industrial variation of the old mouse trap. Best of luck,
hope it works fine for you.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Steve B" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:
[...]

You seem to be having the same problems I have with them, and that is you
can't sit there 24/7, and they will just wait you out. They will strip
trees here in a day, and it's always the day when you go to town or church
or something. They have sentries posted. I have used the 5 gallon buckets,
and even caught the large squirrels in them, but they are big enough to jump
out, or just hang onto something and not fall in the water. The 5 gallon
ones work great for mice and pack rats.

My neighbor sat in the canyon one day with his .22 and a scope and killed 22
of them. But they have litters twice a year, and will repopulate quickly.
I think I'm going to put some fallen apples in the water with a little yeast
to get a nice fragrance going. I still like the autodump feature, and may
work on that, as I am a welder.

It's a bear to walk out, and your whole tree's fruit is gone.

http://www.desertusa.com/animals/rock_squirrel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat

Not to worry. If I didn't continue to associate with the peons, who would I
sell the plans to? ;-)

I am getting my cabg book ready to publish this week online, too. I'm
excited about that.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Colbyt" wrote in message
news

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Steve B" wrote in message
[...]

They make leach field pipe in sections that have holes or not.

Steve