Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Do they make ..........

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote:
-snip-

'Great minds' & all that. My first thought on the trap was it was
going to be some sort of box trap--- but then my mind went the same
place as yours.

Going to take a big plastic barrel with no top. Cut a piece of pipe about
2x the diameter of the barrel.

In my thoughts the pivot point was about 1/3 of the way over the bbl.
-snip-
limb diagonal up to the entry of the pipe. Slather the inside with peanut
butter.

Put a little on the outside, too-- so squirrel #10 can still smell
it-- and hear all the splashing and think he's missing something.g

-snip-
white/black sewer pipe is, so he can't get any traction to run out. I
think
when it tips, it will dump him so fast that he won't have time to run out,
and they weigh like three pounds, so he should drop pretty fast.

I can't wait for the youtube. My guess is he'll play teeter-totter a
few times, then get greedy. Greed kills.

be headed downhill, so will take him a bit to turn around. Considered the
4" so that he couldn't turn around, but would have to test to see if they
will enter that small a pipe.

Our gray squirrels go 2-3 pounds. I'm going to try this with 4" as
soon as it cools off enough to drag a barrel out of the bushes and
knock the top off.

I was going to mount the thing like those little buckets on water features
that fill with water, then tip over to drain all the water, so that when
deceased smelly squirrel needs disposal, I shall just fill up with water,
and it will dump over canyon wall, where it will be located.

That will be the tough part for me. I think a foot of water ought to
do the deed-- and I'll dump it in place every few days if necessary.

Will also have
one under apple tree, current main squirrel target.

They've been eyeing my peach tree for a week--- 2 weeks to go til
peaches. I got *1* last year because it was the last one on the tree
and I picked it before it was ripe. Got *0* cherries this year
because of the squirrels.

I do what I can with a pellet gun- but I need a sentry on duty 24-7.
I've tried live traps- but after 2-3 in that many days, the remainders
get smart. This trap has the potential of getting a 1/2 dozen a day
& really thinning the herd.

I have neighbors waiting for me to make and test these. BIG problem with
these around here. I can become rich if this works.

Will you still talk to us peons when you've made your next billion$ ?

Jim

You seem to be having the same problems I have with them, and that is you
can't sit there 24/7, and they will just wait you out. They will strip
trees here in a day, and it's always the day when you go to town or church
or something. They have sentries posted. I have used the 5 gallon buckets,
and even caught the large squirrels in them, but they are big enough to jump
out, or just hang onto something and not fall in the water. The 5 gallon
ones work great for mice and pack rats.

My neighbor sat in the canyon one day with his .22 and a scope and killed 22
of them. But they have litters twice a year, and will repopulate quickly.
I think I'm going to put some fallen apples in the water with a little yeast
to get a nice fragrance going. I still like the autodump feature, and may
work on that, as I am a welder.

It's a bear to walk out, and your whole tree's fruit is gone.

http://www.desertusa.com/animals/rock_squirrel.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pack_rat

Not to worry. If I didn't continue to associate with the peons, who would I
sell the plans to? ;-)

I am getting my cabg book ready to publish this week online, too. I'm
excited about that.

Steve