Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Window AC Compressor won't shut off

I have to work it manually. I can hear the thermostat click if I turn
it up or down, but the compressor just runs the whole time.
The room will get too cold if I leave it run. I can have it on fan
only, and turn the thermostat all the way down and hear it click, but
if I turn it to A/C
the compressor kicks in right away.
Could there be a relay in there stuck or burnt together?
Thanks, Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 7:53*am, " wrote:
I have to work it manually. I can hear the thermostat click if I turn
it up or down, but the compressor just runs the whole time.
The room will get too cold if I leave it run. I can have it on fan
only, and turn the thermostat all the way down and hear it click, but
if I turn it to A/C
the compressor kicks in right away.
Could there be a relay in there stuck or burnt together?
Thanks, Tony

I had a bad double capacitor do that to me once on a full size split
system. The power for the fan was backfeeding through the capacitor
to the compressor.

Need to look at the circuit and start checking things out with a
meter. Often the circuit diagram is inside the housing somewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like the thermostat is stuck. Or, more correctly, the
electrical contacts within the thermostat.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
I have to work it manually. I can hear the thermostat click if I turn
it up or down, but the compressor just runs the whole time.
The room will get too cold if I leave it run. I can have it on fan
only, and turn the thermostat all the way down and hear it click, but
if I turn it to A/C
the compressor kicks in right away.
Could there be a relay in there stuck or burnt together?
Thanks, Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

I have to work it manually. I can hear the thermostat click if I turn
it up or down, but the compressor just runs the whole time.
The room will get too cold if I leave it run. I can have it on fan
only, and turn the thermostat all the way down and hear it click, but
if I turn it to A/C
the compressor kicks in right away.
Could there be a relay in there stuck or burnt together?
Thanks, Tony

OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?
Thanks, Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 10, 10:11*am, " wrote:

snip

OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?

Yes. The click is the coil pulling the relay armature down, but the
contacts could still be stuck solid. Try a new relay, and odds are
your problem could be gone.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 08:17:16 -0700, Joe wrote:

On Jul 10, 10:11Â*am, " wrote:

snip

OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?

Yes. The click is the coil pulling the relay armature down, but the
contacts could still be stuck solid. Try a new relay, and odds are your
problem could be gone.

Joe

I cant recall seeing a thermostat labeled Low and High. Usually those are
fan speed settings. Does the low and high knob you are turning have some
extra travel in between the low and high or does it just click from low
to high?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 10, 11:46*am, Jeff The Drunk wrote:
snip

I cant recall seeing a thermostat labeled Low and High. Usually those are
fan speed settings. Does the low and high knob you are turning have some
extra travel in between the low and high or does it just click from low
to high?

No sorry, it don't really say High and low, It is actually labeled
1-10.

Thanks, Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, so your saying a relay and not the thermostat itself?
I will have to get some help removing this unit, as it's pretty big
and heavy.
I am assuming I have to remove the outer cover/shell.
Will there be just 1 relay in there?
I should be able to open the relay and see if it's stuck or burnt
together.
Thanks, Tony

On Jul 10, 11:17*am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:11*am, " wrote:

snip
OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?

Yes. The click is the coil pulling the relay armature down, but the
contacts could still be stuck solid. Try a new relay, and odds are
your problem could be gone.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stat itself; no relay.
Access from front.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
OK, so your saying a relay and not the thermostat itself?
I will have to get some help removing this unit, as it's pretty big
and heavy.
I am assuming I have to remove the outer cover/shell.
Will there be just 1 relay in there?
I should be able to open the relay and see if it's stuck or burnt
together.
Thanks, Tony

On Jul 10, 11:17 am, Joe wrote:
On Jul 10, 10:11 am, "
wrote:

snip
OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?

Yes. The click is the coil pulling the relay armature down, but the
contacts could still be stuck solid. Try a new relay, and odds are
your problem could be gone.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, very possible. You could dissemble, and check for continuity at
the stat, and then rotate the knob. See if continuity makes and
breaks.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?
Thanks, Tony

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

OK thanks, But would I still hear a "click" when I turn it (the
thermostat) from low to high?
Thanks, Tony

Yeah Good call Christopher, looks like thats what it is, see my post
above with the pictures.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...qSmnJaq beoeA
http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=htt...osZE618_O-zBpQ
Thanks, Tony
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks. Nice to hear a kind word, once in a while. I got your picture,
but not sure what it was, or what was going on, in the pic. No big
loss.

Glad it worked out well, for you.

--
Christopher A. Young