Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob

Default New wooden window won't shut

I've just had a new softwood window fitted (cottage style).

http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/popup_chos...=12&subtype=14...

After fitting I noticed that the top mortice fastner was tight, so much
so that the brass effect paint had already began to come off. That
said the window did close. Since then, the window has been stained and
left slightly open. Now, the top mortice faster won't close, no matter
how hard we pull we can't seem to pull top part of window in close
enough to fasten, despite the bottom mortice fastner and stay being
in closed position. I am really trying to establish the root cause of
this:

a) mortice fastner may have been fitted slightly out, thus not allowing
for natural expansion and contraction

b) staining in cold/damp conditions has caused window to expand

c) window has warped - fitting?

etc.

Who should I go back to - builder or stockist (Travis Perkins)?

As always, any advice greatly appreciated.

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
Central Air v. Window-unit Air? Nehmo Home Ownership 143 August 20th 05 08:33 AM
Does a double hung window have a circulation advantage over a roll type in a one window bathroom? Bob Valor Home Repair 5 July 14th 05 07:05 AM
The Twisted Rod window system question - more appropriate post chillermfg Home Repair 0 November 16th 04 07:58 PM
problem with velux window BigWallop UK diy 1 July 23rd 03 08:20 PM