Posted to alt.home.repair

Default A/C compressor shut off

After the house got fairly warm today, i realized the outside unit had
shutoff. The top of the unit where the fan motor sits is rather warm.
I currently have everything turned off to let it cooldown as i think
(hope) it just overheated.

The unit has pretty much been running non-stop, and is only 3 years
old. I'm trying to track down my paperwork but i'm pretty sure it's
still under warranty (its a Carrier). If anyone has any insights it
would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

well, it didn't work. The fuse is fine and all, and when i turned the
system back on i could feel the power in the compressor. The hum of
the capacitors was apparant, and every 10 seconds or so there was an
electroni "click" sound, which to me sounded like the system was trying
to click on. I'm at a loss and about to call a repair man, but any
other advice would be great.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds to me like you are in over your head. My #1 guess is start
capacitor though.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
well, it didn't work. The fuse is fine and all, and when i turned the
system back on i could feel the power in the compressor. The hum of
the capacitors was apparant, and every 10 seconds or so there was an
electroni "click" sound, which to me sounded like the system was trying
to click on. I'm at a loss and about to call a repair man, but any
other advice would be great.

My system did something similar. I noticed the lights would dim in the house
for a few seconds when starting, but no cooling. Knowing about motors, I
went straight for the capacitor and found it had gone open circuit. $17
later I had a new one in and cooling again.

If not the cap, it may need a hard start kit. If not that it may be done.

It is hard to tell from here, better call a pro.
John