Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Under sink water filters

I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know
there are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems.
What is typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not
particularly to trap particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a
captive market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay
big bucks?
Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

depends upon what you're trying to remove. if it's dissolved things, then
you need an ro or ro/di. if it's just floaties or smells, a filter may be
enough. also an ro wastes 4 gallons or more per 1 gallon of output, and may
require a booster pump if you have low pressure.

if you can do minor plumbing, you can install an undersink ro/di pretty
easily. the hard part may be making the countertop hole if you don't already
have one and depending upon what the counter is made from.

ordering them off ebay is probably cheapest, next is a big box hardware
store.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know
there are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems.
What is typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not
particularly to trap particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a
captive market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay
big bucks?
Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

I have an RO system under my sink. We have it for our salt water aquarium
and for drinking water. http://tinyurl.com/2cc5eon

Water taste great and the system is simple to install as long as you have a
hole cut your sink for the faucet.

Filters are a bit costly and have to be changed every 6 months and the RO
filter is about $100 on it's own and should be switched out 12 to 18 months.
Depends on the water and the amount of use. We use our a lot and change the
RO filter every 12 months.

Overkill? Maybe. You could look at single stage filters. I've seen those run
for about $80.

I don't think either would qualify as big bucks. FWIW I'm very pleased with
the Watts Premium filter system and we have a water softener prior to the
filter. The RO filter system gets that crappy soft water taste out
completely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

Our water system is "the water from hell" local district. We use a filter
that snaps onto the faucet and fill a 3 gallon container that is kept in
the frig to cool. Only use this for drinking or cooking. Is a RO filter and
tester reads zero PPM. Only 2 in family and filter lasts way over 1 year.
Brand name is AQUA Wizard. Look it up on the internet. If I recall filters
are about $50. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimT" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Is there a difference in the filters other than the price? Should I go
bigbox, buy brand name, or shop Internet, and buy price? I have three in my
current system in the main part of the house. Not sure what we are going to
put into the casita, as that uses less water, and does not need a large
system.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

I have an RO system under my sink. We have it for our salt water aquarium
and for drinking water.http://tinyurl.com/2cc5eon

Water taste great and the system is simple to install as long as you have a
hole cut your sink for the faucet.

Filters are a bit costly and have to be changed every 6 months and the RO
filter is about $100 on it's own and should be switched out 12 to 18 months.
Depends on the water and the amount of use. We use our a lot and change the
RO filter every 12 months.

Overkill? Maybe. You could look at single stage filters. I've seen those run
for about $80.

I don't think either would qualify as big bucks. FWIW I'm very pleased with
the Watts Premium filter system and we have a water softener prior to the
filter. The RO filter system gets that crappy soft water taste out
completely.- Hide quoted text -

Do you really waste 4 gallons for every one used as noted by
chaniarts?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 09:00:55 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

*
Use these tips to help improve the flavor of your tap water:

* Put a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator. This allows the
chlorine to dissipate. After just a few hours, you'll notice an
improvement in flavor.

* Add a lemon or orange slice. You'll add zest and overcome the
chlorine taste simply by overpowering it.

* Filter your water. There are hundreds of filter options at
varying costs, but an inexpensive activated carbon filter, like those
found in carafe systems, can improve taste and odor perceptions
associated with chlorine. These filters do not remove hardness,
minerals, sodium or fluoride.

http://www.snwa.com/html/wq_taste.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

*
Use these tips to help improve the flavor of your tap water:

* Put a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator. This allows the
chlorine to dissipate. After just a few hours, you'll notice an
improvement in flavor.

* Add a lemon or orange slice. You'll add zest and overcome the
chlorine taste simply by overpowering it.

* Filter your water. There are hundreds of filter options at
varying costs, but an inexpensive activated carbon filter, like those
found in carafe systems, can improve taste and odor perceptions
associated with chlorine. These filters do not remove hardness,
minerals, sodium or fluoride.

http://www.snwa.com/html/wq_taste.html

Did you hook up with that pool plasterer?

(Not "hook up" in the current text message sense, but you know what I
mean.........) And even if you did, I'm not interested in your private
things. Oooo bad choice of words. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to
trap particulates.

*
Use these tips to help improve the flavor of your tap water:

* Put a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator. This allows the
chlorine to dissipate. After just a few hours, you'll notice an
improvement in flavor.

most modern water supplies don't use chlorine. they use chloramine, which
does not dissipate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chloramine

* Add a lemon or orange slice. You'll add zest and overcome the
chlorine taste simply by overpowering it.

* Filter your water. There are hundreds of filter options at
varying costs, but an inexpensive activated carbon filter, like those
found in carafe systems, can improve taste and odor perceptions
associated with chlorine. These filters do not remove hardness,
minerals, sodium or fluoride.

http://www.snwa.com/html/wq_taste.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:32:18 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

Did you hook up with that pool plasterer?

I found B N D Plastering in Herdersen and called them. They don't
like to give estimates over the phone. Sally did say between 3,000
and 7,000 dollars. I'm sure it would be at the low end for 10,000
gallon pool. If this is the same company you used, $3200 for 30,000
gallon pool is a _good_ deal.

I can live with the small damage I have awhile longer. I want to
replace the HVAC first and get the tax credits. My unit is over 12
years old.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:46 pm, "JimT" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

====

A big draw back to RO. I'm not sure but, I think it's part of the bargain
regardless of what RO system you use. The amount of water used for drinking
is small compaired to the amount used for a household in total.

We would have to go to the pet store weekly for our salt water aquarium and
buy 10 gal of RO/DI water and that would run about $10 not counting the trip
and taxes. That's why we have it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:51:18 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"JimT" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
[...]

The most important consideration is price and future availability of
filter cartridges.

Filters are expensive. I got my RO at Costco and I can buy the replacements
through Costco online except the RO filter we have to buy directly from
Watts Premier.

https://www.wattspremier.com/product...0-GPD-Membrane

http://tinyurl.com/32mvee6

So it's $150 for us for one year. Which is probably pretty reasonable.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message

"JimT" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
[...]

Not entirely sure. We got our system through Costco and we put a lot of
faith in Costco quality/value. If you research the mfg's websites they
usually have the statistics.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:46 pm, "JimT" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

taste out completely.- Hide quoted text -

Do you really waste 4 gallons for every one used as noted by
chaniarts?

====

A big draw back to RO. I'm not sure but, I think it's part of the
bargain regardless of what RO system you use. The amount of water
used for drinking is small compaired to the amount used for a
household in total.
We would have to go to the pet store weekly for our salt water
aquarium and buy 10 gal of RO/DI water and that would run about $10
not counting the trip and taxes. That's why we have it.

do you have water stores/kiosks? i use ro/di water in my reef tank. it cost
me $.25/gallon. i use about $50/year in water, so it's cheaper for me to do
that rather than get my own ro/di.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimT wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"JimT" wrote in message
news
Steve B wrote:
[...]

go for price. most of the membranes come from the same 2-3 manufacturers
anyway. there's a difference in the # of stages; more stages = higher price
= better filtration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 12:46 pm, "JimT" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

I've considered that and it sounds like a good idea. I change my water a lot
so I'm not sure the math would work out for me. I have a 75gal tank and
change out about 45gal a month. Plus it we use it for filtered drinking. But
if your water quality is good .25 a gal is a good price.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"chaniarts" wrote in message
JimT wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

"JimT" wrote in message
news Steve B wrote:
[...]

When we built a home in NC, it was on a private water system
servicing several hundred homes in the area. The water was the
worst I've ever encountered, turning the inside of a dishwasher
black in under a month. It apparently had lots of Manganese in it
and its only redeeming characteristic seemed to be it was low in
iron.

I solved the black problem cheaply: when the water exited the
pressure regulator for the house, it had to pass through 3 Home
Depot, generic-type, filter housings. They cost under $20 in
total, as I recall. The first housed a 5-micron string wound
filter and then the second and third a 1 micron filter. The
filters were also quite inexpensive, costing under $3-4 each, as I
recall. I also built a bypass line with ball valves to keep the
house in service while changing and bleeding air out of the
filters. The first one would have everything from gravel to
sawdust in it, but would not be black. The second would look like
it had been washed in black paint in under a month, while the
third would remain relatively decent for several months.

To judge whether a filter change was needed, I relied on a single
downstream pressure gauge. In the AM, when nobody was using water
in the house, I'd look at the gauge and note the pressure. I'd
then go flush two toilets and open the cold water valve on a
nearby sink, noting the resulting pressure. If the difference was
more than 10 psi, it was time for new filters. The third filter
would become the middle one, with a new 1 micron going to the
third position and a new 5 micron one to the first position. This
worked like a charm for over 10 years with no problems. The
dishwasher, the clothes washer and toilets stayed nice and clean
looking.

I also installed an RO system while I was at it. I bought
additional valves and placed one at the vanity of each bathroom,
one at the wet bar and at the kitchen sink and connected up the
ice makers of both refrigerators. The 1-gallon tank was
supplemented with a second one, which seemed to prove adequate. I
connected all together with a 3/8" PEX line so we had whole-house
RO water at the points of use.

Nonny

--
On most days,
it’s just not worth

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
5.247...
On Thu 08 Jul 2010 02:38:39p, JimT told us...

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
.
com... On Jul 8, 12:46 pm, "JimT" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
[...]

crappy soft water taste out completely.- Hide quoted text -

Do you really waste 4 gallons for every one used as noted by
chaniarts?

====

A big draw back to RO. I'm not sure but, I think it's part of the
bargain regardless of what RO system you use. The amount of water
used for drinking is small compaired to the amount used for a
household in total.

We would have to go to the pet store weekly for our salt water
aquarium and buy 10 gal of RO/DI water and that would run about
$10 not counting the trip and taxes. That's why we have it.

Since I have a septic system, I really would want that extra 4
gallons running off into that for every gallon of RO water.

--

You have to remember, if you only using it for cooking and drinking you're
not using much. It's not like you're showering, washing clothes...etc. It

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote in message
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

All I use is a standard filter housing for the 10" cartridges and use the
carbon filters. If you have basement under the kitchen, install the
filter there as it is easier to work and to access.

Our town water has a swampy taste to it. The carbon filters work very
well, easier and cheaper than RO. Every home store carries them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 8, 8:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. *I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. *What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

All I use is a standard filter housing for the 10" cartridges and use the
carbon filters. * *If you have basement under the kitchen, install the
filter there as it is easier to work and to access.

Our town water has a swampy taste to it. * The carbon filters work very
well, easier and cheaper than RO. *Every home store carries them.

I installed a similar filter housing in my kitchen approximately 15
years ago. Many different filter cartridges are readily available and
the last time I bought several, they were $11 each; some are good to
0.5 microns. Most are rated to last 6 months or 3000 gallons. The
reduction in flow rate is noticeable, but tolerable. It works very
well at removing the chlorine/chloramine smell and taste from the city
water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

Hi,
I installed one with RO based. Two filters before and two more after.
Last stage is UV tube. Maybe over kill but while I am at it and cost
difference is not a big deal, why not?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

I prefer mine under the sink, under the floor, in the basement, hung
from the ceiling. Much easier to maintain and change filters in the
basement. RO filters work great and water tastes good when chilled.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
news Steve B wrote:
[...]

That's a screwing. You can get the filters and the membrane from Home
Depot for $25.00 The membrane will last for years actually.

--
LSMFT

I don't like to interrupt her.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
wrote:

wrote in message
news Steve B wrote:
[...]

I'm sure it all depends on your system and your needs. I've invested over
$5k in my aquarium. I'm not intersted in cheap.

Water Filters Jack Allen Home Repair 9 February 21st 11 10:15 PM
OT water filters Why? UK diy 16 September 22nd 09 12:51 PM
Pur water filters benick[_2_] Home Repair 4 August 12th 08 06:23 AM
2 water filters for 2x the water pressure - idea and advice Jim Rainfordson Home Repair 4 July 7th 08 05:29 PM
Anyone knowledgable about water filters? jack[_8_] Home Repair 3 June 29th 08 02:06 AM