Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts chaniarts is offline

Default Under sink water filters

Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know
there are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems.
What is typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not
particularly to trap particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a
captive market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay
big bucks?
Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

depends upon what you're trying to remove. if it's dissolved things, then
you need an ro or ro/di. if it's just floaties or smells, a filter may be
enough. also an ro wastes 4 gallons or more per 1 gallon of output, and may
require a booster pump if you have low pressure.

if you can do minor plumbing, you can install an undersink ro/di pretty
easily. the hard part may be making the countertop hole if you don't already
have one and depending upon what the counter is made from.

ordering them off ebay is probably cheapest, next is a big box hardware
store.