Posted to alt.home.repair
JimT[_2_] JimT[_2_] is offline

Default Under sink water filters

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
On Jul 8, 12:46 pm, "JimT" wrote:
Steve B wrote:
I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. I know
there are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems.
What is typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not
particularly to trap particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a
captive market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay
big bucks?
Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

TIA

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.comwatch for the book

I have an RO system under my sink. We have it for our salt water aquarium
and for drinking water.http://tinyurl.com/2cc5eon

Water taste great and the system is simple to install as long as you have
hole cut your sink for the faucet.

Filters are a bit costly and have to be changed every 6 months and the RO
filter is about $100 on it's own and should be switched out 12 to 18
months.
Depends on the water and the amount of use. We use our a lot and change
the
RO filter every 12 months.

Overkill? Maybe. You could look at single stage filters. I've seen those
run
for about $80.

I don't think either would qualify as big bucks. FWIW I'm very pleased
with
the Watts Premium filter system and we have a water softener prior to the
filter. The RO filter system gets that crappy soft water taste out
completely.- Hide quoted text -

Do you really waste 4 gallons for every one used as noted by
chaniarts?

====

A big draw back to RO. I'm not sure but, I think it's part of the bargain
regardless of what RO system you use. The amount of water used for drinking
is small compaired to the amount used for a household in total.

We would have to go to the pet store weekly for our salt water aquarium and
buy 10 gal of RO/DI water and that would run about $10 not counting the trip
and taxes. That's why we have it.