Posted to alt.home.repair
RosemontCrest RosemontCrest is offline

Default Under sink water filters

On Jul 8, 8:09*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Steve B" wrote in message

I want to put an under the sink water filtration system in. *I know there
are reverse osmosis units, and all types of filtration systems. *What is
typical and necessary to get good tasting water, not particularly to trap
particulates.

Can one get an RO system themselves and install it, or is this a captive
market where you have to buy from the major companies and pay big bucks?

Is an RO system overkill, or could one achieve the same results with a
couple of filters in series?

All I use is a standard filter housing for the 10" cartridges and use the
carbon filters. * *If you have basement under the kitchen, install the
filter there as it is easier to work and to access.

Our town water has a swampy taste to it. * The carbon filters work very
well, easier and cheaper than RO. *Every home store carries them.

I installed a similar filter housing in my kitchen approximately 15
years ago. Many different filter cartridges are readily available and
the last time I bought several, they were $11 each; some are good to
0.5 microns. Most are rated to last 6 months or 3000 gallons. The
reduction in flow rate is noticeable, but tolerable. It works very
well at removing the chlorine/chloramine smell and taste from the city
water.