Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Abusive padlock tests

Overall winner: Master

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lick=pm_latest

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2010 5:57 AM, HeyBub wrote:
Overall winner: Master

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lick=pm_latest

My locksmith friends use a circular saw with an abrasive metal cutting
blade to remove padlocks. I often use my Dremel tool to do the same
thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair
cln cln is offline

thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.

like my uncle says: Locks are only to keep honest people out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Overall winner: Master

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lick=pm_latest

If the lock is hard to cut, just cut the part is looped through. I needed
to get into a room at work that was locked with a padlock that bolt cutters
would not cut. Shifted to the soft metal hasp and it took very little
effort.

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
Overall winner: Master

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lick=pm_latest

I'm quite surprized. Master Lock the winner?

And Medeco... their Best quality locks for the vending industry, (soda,
candy machines), ... are stronger than any others I've ran across. But
they do make a cheap version also.

Posted to alt.home.repair

cln wrote:
thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.

like my uncle says: Locks are only to keep honest people out.

I say that and I'm not your Uncle... am I?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-07-07, Tony wrote:

I'm quite surprized. Master Lock the winner?

Master Lock has advertised heavily in PM for decades.

My buddy and I shot an expensive Master Lock (non-plate type) with a
..44 mag. Couldn't even find the pieces.

Besides, don't need to cut them. Too damn easy just to pick it. Try
googling with pick master lock.

nb
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:37*am, wrote:

I have an 18 volt Ryobi rotary tool. With a metal cutoff wheel mounted
I can open any padlock about as fast as if I had the key.

I can open a typical padlock with a hammer faster than if I had the
key, one-handed. Shackle usually pops right out.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Overall winner: Master

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...lick=pm_latest

Why use a gun when this silent way will work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5trcVcik0A

I have a set of lock picks. Yes, it is this easy. I carry slim jims, too.
We have to access areas at times to do our real estate surveys. Pool pump
rooms, storage areas, RV parking areas....... lots of places where people
think locking it up is sufficient.

We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have
permission and access to anything on the property. I regularly amaze
maintenance personnel and managers. Saves a lot of time for not having to
go get keys, or wait days until some ditzy employee can come and open up for
you.

I have even opened cars a couple of times for people. I was the best at the
Hilton Hotel in Vegas when I parked cars there. Always had people locking
themselves out. Made good tips, too when we told them a locksmith would be
$100, and usually 4 hours out.

Locks are very easy to defeat, and the newest thing of bumping locks takes
two seconds.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"cln" wrote in message
thing. Nothing is safe from battery operated cutting tools these days.

like my uncle says: Locks are only to keep honest people out.

I can pick a padlock in less than a minute. I also have a pair of bolt
cutters that stand 3'6" high. Got them at a police auction. I prefer to
carry the pick locks, rather than the bolt cutters. ;-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 2:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have
permission and access to anything on the property.

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of
permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of
lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't
remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:08:36 -0700 (PDT), Larry Fishel
wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have
permission and access to anything on the property.

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of
permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of
lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't
remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)

It is called 'possession of burglar's tools' in New York.

Here's the wording for FL [all other state on this page;
http://www.lockpickguide.com/legalityoflockpicks.html ]
"Section 810.06 - Possession of burglary tools. Whoever has in his or
her possession any tool, machine, or implement with intent to use the
same, or allow the same to be used, to commit any burglary or trespass
shall be guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as
provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. "

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:52*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

And as I read both of them- you're OK if you have permission to enter
the property.
[and I think Steve is in UT where there are *no* codes.]

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Larry Fishel" wrote in message
On Jul 7, 2:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
We are an agent and assign of the management company, so legally have
permission and access to anything on the property.

Have you checked your local laws? Here in Florida, regardless of
permission or even if you're opening your own house, possession of
lock picks is illegal unless you're actually a locksmith... (I don't
remember the exact language, but it's pretty restrictive.)

reply: I only stated that we had legal permission of the owners and
management companies to open locked areas, and that would include using bolt
cutters or a prybar. Yes, they are illegal to possess. I have LEO
experience, and family on the force there. I also have a license plate ring
that identifies me subtly as a family member of the force there. I have my
old ID. The picklocks are always hidden, and for any officer to be able to
find them, they would have to be on a search for something else to toss the
entire car. I am a well behaved citizen and that isn't going to happen.

I fail to see that if you are on your own property that there can be a
problem about opening a door. But then The Republik of Kalifornia has
strange laws, and perhaps Florida does too.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

We are in full view of management, and there is no intent to commit
burglary. We are simply gaining access at the direction and/or under the
supervision of management. We are on property by order of the owners as a
legal agent or assign, therefore there is no trespass. I'd be within the
law, even in Florida. It would seem that by that writing, anyone could
possess these tools if they had no intent. It's like the Vermont concealed
carry law. No permit is necessary if the concealed firearm is carried with
no intent to use it to commit a crime.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Almost all our work is done in Nevada. We have had a couple of jobs in
Utah, and Arizona.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-
[and I think Steve is in UT where there are *no* codes.]

Jim

Almost all our work is done in Nevada. We have had a couple of jobs in
Utah, and Arizona.

Sorry 'bout that. I knew it was someplace that was too hot for
humans.g

Once you get south of the Mason/Dixon and west of the Mississippi,
they all run together to me.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:51:33 -0700, gpsman wrote:

On Jul 7, 10:37Â*am, wrote:

I have an 18 volt Ryobi rotary tool. With a metal cutoff wheel mounted
I can open any padlock about as fast as if I had the key.

I can open a typical padlock with a hammer faster than if I had the key,
one-handed. Shackle usually pops right out.

.... and bust a window and jump through even faster than that :-)

It always surprises me that people put huge locks on timber structures;
no matter how good the lock may be, it surely can't be that difficult to
just demolish the surrounding wood to gain access?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Steve B" wrote:

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

-snip-
[and I think Steve is in UT where there are *no* codes.]

Jim

Almost all our work is done in Nevada. We have had a couple of jobs in
Utah, and Arizona.

Sorry 'bout that. I knew it was someplace that was too hot for
humans.g

Once you get south of the Mason/Dixon and west of the Mississippi,
they all run together to me.

Jim

Frickin' hot in Vegas right now, and we have to go there this afternoon.
But, hey, for around $80 an hour, I just suck it up. I also carry cotton
welding caps that I douse in ice water, and cotton Hawaiian print shirts
that I dunk in the pool. Stays wet for about an hour. A real shock to the
system when you first put the shirt on. Like someone hitting you with a
blast of ice water. Works pretty good, though. I have used the wet
welder's hat for a long time.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 7, 10:37 am, wrote:

I have an 18 volt Ryobi rotary tool. With a metal cutoff wheel mounted
I can open any padlock about as fast as if I had the key.

I can open a typical padlock with a hammer faster than if I had the key,
one-handed. Shackle usually pops right out.

... and bust a window and jump through even faster than that :-)

It always surprises me that people put huge locks on timber structures;
no matter how good the lock may be, it surely can't be that difficult to
just demolish the surrounding wood to gain access?

Amateurs do that. Professionals use bump keys and pick locks. Quieter, and
no severed arteries.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Jul 7, 2:52 pm, "Steve B" wrote:
[...]

Read it again.

A baseball bat is a deadly weapon if you use it as a weapon or
threaten someone with it. A screw driver is a burglar toll in some
contexts and situations.

Correct.

Intent (or use) is everything.

Dentists have drawers full of lock picking tools.

No he doesn't. He has a drawer full of medical instruments.

My garden shed is full of deadly weapons.

Probably not (I don't know what you have in your garden shed). You probably
have a shed full of tools.

The tire iron in my car? Depends on whether I use it to change a tire
or whack somebody with it.

Yes, but....

A truncheon is a deadly weapon per se - a baseball bat is not. A Bowie Knife
is a deadly weapon in and of itself without regard to its use - a carving
knife is not. A three-foot length of 3/4" wire rope is not a deadly weapon,
until you wrap one end with friction tape.

In these cases, the intent of the manufacturer (or modifier) determines the
classification. When you USE a tire iron to beat someone it BECOMES a deadly
weapon. A pair of brass knuckels is ALWAYS a deadly weapon.

It's a small, but crucial, difference. It is against the law in most
jurisdictions to carry a night stick or truncheon in your car or on your
person. Carrying a pony-league baseball bat is always legal.

Anti-rust padlock mark UK diy 15 December 16th 08 05:40 PM
How to remove a padlock?! Toller Home Repair 34 October 8th 07 06:02 PM
Frozen padlock Jim Home Repair 10 January 20th 06 09:43 PM
Abusive postings Jeff Gorman Woodworking 8 August 29th 03 07:52 PM