Posted to alt.home.repair

Default inground pool question

I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

suwright wrote:
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

my guess it could be done using epoxy paint and epoxy putties, followed
by swimming pool paint.
paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"suwright" wrote in message
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

I'd think that would have to do with your location. If you're in an area
with hard freezes you're probably better off replacing the liner IMHO. I'd
be interested in reading other comments.

I asked a similar question and I came to the conclusion tile is too
problematic and expensive.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 6, 6:28*pm, suwright wrote:
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

I would say not a good idea. The tiling would likely be even more than
a new liner. Vinyl is the cheapy. If you can get butyl rubber it
will last longer.
The liner deteriorates because of UV in sunlight. Ideally your pool
should be covered when not in use. Lined pools should never be left
empty either unless they are very small. The liner is not self
supporting, it needs to be pushed agianst the concrete side by the
water to hold it in position without damage.
Running a swimming pool properly is a costly business done properly.
If you can't afford a new liner, fill the pool in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"suwright" wrote in message
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

Your pool might be like my 124 year old grandmother, who was on life
support, and the hospital asked if they could do bypass surgery on her at a
cost of nearly $100,000. We said no.

Call a pool pro in your area to come out for a "free" bid. They will tell
you what can and, more importantly, what can not be done. There's no law
against you stealing their ideas and DIY'ing. But, more importantly, they
will give you a professional answer on how to fix your pool, and if it can
even be done.

If the liner is sagging, doesn't that mean that the concrete under that is
moving away? You might consider having a new pool put in. At least your
excavation costs would be low. :-)

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"suwright" wrote in message
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

I have the same situation. It makes no sense to me why someone would pay for
all that concrete only to slap a p-o-s liner on it. In my pool, possibly
because of it's irregular shape, new liners start giving me leaking problems
after about three years, then by five years, they're toast. At 5 to 6
thousand per liner I finally gave up. I talked to a number of pool
contractors about turning it into a real, totally concrete or plaster pool
and was pretty much told to forget it. I did have one company try to sell me
on an epoxy paint job, but he really didn't convince me that the $25K would
be worth it. Ultimately I think I've pretty much decided to demo the
concrete deck, fill in the deep end, and drop a prefab fiberglass pool into
the shallow end. I'm located in a fairly cold climate in NY. Here is the
current state of my project:
http://picasaweb.google.com/10911899...eat=directlink