Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default inground pool question

"suwright" wrote in message
I have a in-ground concrete base pool with a vinyl liner. Is it
possible for me to tile over the concrete base and get rid of the
liner? Not sure what kind of supplies I would need for this if it is
possible. The pool is old and the liner is sagging and it's very
costly to replace.

I have the same situation. It makes no sense to me why someone would pay for
all that concrete only to slap a p-o-s liner on it. In my pool, possibly
because of it's irregular shape, new liners start giving me leaking problems
after about three years, then by five years, they're toast. At 5 to 6
thousand per liner I finally gave up. I talked to a number of pool
contractors about turning it into a real, totally concrete or plaster pool
and was pretty much told to forget it. I did have one company try to sell me
on an epoxy paint job, but he really didn't convince me that the $25K would
be worth it. Ultimately I think I've pretty much decided to demo the
concrete deck, fill in the deep end, and drop a prefab fiberglass pool into
the shallow end. I'm located in a fairly cold climate in NY. Here is the
current state of my project:
http://picasaweb.google.com/10911899...eat=directlink