Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Polymer inground pool

I'm considering purchasing an in-ground pool. I'm looking at a vinyl-
lined in-ground pool constructed using polymer materials (walls &
support structure). Anybody have any experience with these - positive
or negative? I live in the northeast - do they tolerate the cold
weather pretty well? The salesman I spoke showed me a section of a
pool wall that they had set up outside their showroom, and it appeared
to be solid.

I am not considering Gunite construction as it is out of my price
range. If polymer is as good as the pool salesman claims, then I'd
rather stick with that and maybe get some extras rather than be "pool
poor." I'm also reluctant to go with steel out of concern that it
won't last as long due to rusting.

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

wrote in message
I'm considering purchasing an in-ground pool. I'm looking at a vinyl-
lined in-ground pool constructed using polymer materials (walls &
support structure). Anybody have any experience with these - positive
or negative? I live in the northeast - do they tolerate the cold
weather pretty well? The salesman I spoke showed me a section of a
pool wall that they had set up outside their showroom, and it appeared
to be solid.

I am not considering Gunite construction as it is out of my price
range. If polymer is as good as the pool salesman claims, then I'd
rather stick with that and maybe get some extras rather than be "pool
poor." I'm also reluctant to go with steel out of concern that it
won't last as long due to rusting.

Any input would be appreciated - Thanks!

I wouldn't want any pool with a vinyl liner, regardless if it's structure is
steel, concrete, polymer, or anything else. After a few years the liners
start shrinking and pull out of their track, and look like crap, and leaks
are a constant nuisance. The last liner I had installed about seven years
ago cost $5000. At this point, I'm considering demoing this pool and
installing a fiberglass, smaller pool in the same hole. I don't know much
about the fiberglass pools, but they all come with great lifetime
warrantees. I too, am in the NE and the nearest manufacturer is in NJ. I
plan to stop at their site this summer, and get a better idea of what I may
be in for. Here is a link to their site, and if you do explore this type of
pool, please post back: http://www.waterworldpools.com/pool_types.html