Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tingle / Shock from inground pool

I have an inground pool with concrete decking. If you have a cut or
scrape on your body you can feel a mild shock or tingling sensation
while touching the decking or aluminum coping. For example, if you
have a cut on your hand and put this hand in the pool water, then
place your other hand on the concrete decking, you feel a mild shock.
This cannot be felt unless the skin is broken. A woman who has
recently shaved her legs will also feel the tingling. The is about .
8v of current detected with a meter from the pool water to the
concrete deck. Do you think this is some type of ground issue, etc?
I can provide many more details to anyone who has suggestions or think
they know what the problem is.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On May 9, 10:50 pm, wrote:
I have an inground pool with concrete decking. If you have a cut or
scrape on your body you can feel a mild shock or tingling sensation
while touching the decking or aluminum coping. For example, if you
have a cut on your hand and put this hand in the pool water, then
place your other hand on the concrete decking, you feel a mild shock.
This cannot be felt unless the skin is broken. A woman who has
recently shaved her legs will also feel the tingling. The is about .
8v of current detected with a meter from the pool water to the
concrete deck. Do you think this is some type of ground issue, etc?
I can provide many more details to anyone who has suggestions or think
they know what the problem is.

do your service wires to the house run underground? if you shut off
your mains to the house do you still get the tingle? if yes you might
need to contact your power company. i had a similar service call, i
was getting 4 volts ac i know they drove some ground rods (several) to
try and bleed off the stray current. dont know what came of it but i
havent been sent back.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 10:54 pm, CJT wrote:
wrote:
I have an inground pool with concrete decking. If you have a cut or
scrape on your body you can feel a mild shock or tingling sensation
while touching the decking or aluminum coping. For example, if you
have a cut on your hand and put this hand in the pool water, then
place your other hand on the concrete decking, you feel a mild shock.
This cannot be felt unless the skin is broken. A woman who has
recently shaved her legs will also feel the tingling. The is about .
8v

DC or AC?

of current detected with a meter from the pool water to the

concrete deck. Do you think this is some type of ground issue, etc?
I can provide many more details to anyone who has suggestions or think
they know what the problem is.

AC current. It ranges from .600 to .900 at different times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:18 pm, sym wrote:
On May 9, 10:50 pm, wrote:

[...]

Yes, service wires are underground. I have shut off the the mains and
the shock/tingle still exists. One problem is that I do not know how
the pool itself was grounded. Also, the person who did the concrete
did not ground the rebar (I think). Any thoughts on how to do this
after the fact, or any other tests I can do? I called the power
company and they are supposed to come out within a week. The other
odd thing is that stray voltage isn't supposed to be a problem unless
its 4+ volts. My voltage is less than 1 and I can still feel it, but
only if you have an area of broken skin that contacts the water. All
around my house I get a 1 volt reading by putting a meter probe in the
ground and the other on a bare metal piece of a downspout.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 9, 11:39 pm, wrote:
On 9 May 2007 19:50:42 -0700, wrote:

I have an inground pool with concrete decking. If you have a cut or
scrape on your body you can feel a mild shock or tingling sensation
while touching the decking or aluminum coping. For example, if you
have a cut on your hand and put this hand in the pool water, then
place your other hand on the concrete decking, you feel a mild shock.
This cannot be felt unless the skin is broken. A woman who has
recently shaved her legs will also feel the tingling. The is about .
8v of current detected with a meter from the pool water to the
concrete deck. Do you think this is some type of ground issue, etc?
I can provide many more details to anyone who has suggestions or think
they know what the problem is.

You have a bonding problem. The safest thing is to call an electrician
but the first thing you can do is to be sure all of the solid 8 guage
wires are connected. They should be connected to the light, pump and
one coming from the steel in the concrete

I don't think there is any ground to the steel in the concrete. Is
there an easy way to do this after the fact? I will have to check on
the light. Would it be grounded under the decking by the light
fixture, or are you talking about the ground coming to the switch from
the light fixture. I subbed all this work out individually (pool,
concrete, electrical, fence, etc.) so it's probably my own fault for
not keeping tabs on the grounding/bonding. Any other ideas or tests I
can run would be appreciated.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 8:59 am, wrote:
On May 9, 11:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

can run would be appreciated.- Hide quoted text -

Since the voltage is there with the main breaker open, what you have
is apparently what is called a stray voltage problem. It's not all
that uncommon. Sometimes the utility can identify a likely cause in
their distributions system and correct it. Other times, it proves
very difficult to rectify. I know areas here in NJ where that has
been a problem and despite a lot of focus on fixing it, it still
remains to some extent. Getting the electric company out is the first
step.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 10, 11:36 am, wrote:
On May 10, 8:59 am, wrote:

On May 9, 11:39 pm, wrote:

[...]

step.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I called them yesterday and they should be able to make a
visit within one week.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On May 10, 7:15 pm, "Pop`" wrote:
Yup, that's right; peoples lives could be at stake so you look to a
newsgroup for your answer instead of going to people who are responsible for
answering that kind if question.

wrote:
I have an inground pool with concrete decking. If you have a cut or
scrape on your body you can feel a mild shock or tingling sensation
while touching the decking or aluminum coping. For example, if you
have a cut on your hand and put this hand in the pool water, then
place your other hand on the concrete decking, you feel a mild shock.
This cannot be felt unless the skin is broken. A woman who has
recently shaved her legs will also feel the tingling. The is about .
8v of current detected with a meter from the pool water to the
concrete deck. Do you think this is some type of ground issue, etc?
I can provide many more details to anyone who has suggestions or think
they know what the problem is.- Hide quoted text -

i doubt lives are at stake, and getting advice from ppl here is at
least a start to fixing the problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tking, James Vetter wrote:
what was the result of the power company visit

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ol-216098-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

James Vetter wrote:

replying to tking, James Vetter wrote:
what was the result of the power company visit

We'll never know. tking was electrocuted to death on May 14th, 2007 and
his spouse was not aware of this thread so that she could tell us the
power company found his corpse fried to a crisp...

(Read the *dates*, homeownersflubs!!!)
Posted to alt.home.repair

After serious thinking James Vetter wrote :
replying to tking, James Vetter wrote:
what was the result of the power company visit

They said they would send someone out to have a look in about 8 to 10
years. They say to not swim until then as it could be dangerous. They
should show up any day now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to tking, Kenneth M Barnfield wrote:
open neutral from power company

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ol-216098-.htm