Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Inground pool leak damage question

Hello,

We have vinyl-liner-type inground pool. The bottom and the walls of
the pool are concrete.

This year, while opening the pool, I discovered that the white plastic
flange of one of the water return jets had cracked into pieces and
fallen into the pool, leaving only the protuding mounting screws and a
rubber gasket which is now loose. I've also noticed that the water
level is slowly going down over time, suggesting that water is now
leaking through that outlet opening.

I spoke with my pool dealer (the installer) about this and during the
conversation, I asked if they thought the leaking water would be going
out to the ground. They stated that it probably would be leaking down
UNDERNEATH the liner. When I asked if that would cause a problem,
their response was "You want to get this fixed as soon as possible."

I'm concerned about this because this is a fairly large pool, the
water level has dropped a good 6 inches (i.e. that's a LOT of water)
and they seemed to suggest it would be ending up between the liner and
the pool walls/floor.

If the water is indeed accumulating underneath the liner, will that
cause problems? Would it be trapped there forever (i.e. until the
liner gets replaced)?

Thanks for any advice...