Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Six fans running at all times

Six fans running at all times

I was at friends on Sunday, and it was 94 out and their AC was on, and
it was comfortable in the house, and they also had on 6 fans on the
first floor. (Perhaps more in the finished basement where one son
lives.)

Each of the three bedrooms on the first floor had a ceiling fan that
was running; there was a whirring fan in the hall, on a 40" stand.

A table fan in the living room, and an oscillating table fan in the
dining room.

A couple and two grown kids live there, so never are all those rooms
occupied, and when they eat together, which is often and lengthy, only
one room is. Most of the time, two, maybe 3 rooms have someone in
them.

It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of which are actually making them more comfortable.

Is it worth saying anything to them?
Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Sounds like they are scrambling air flow which may not be good thing
to do.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:47:05 -0400, mm wrote:

[...]

We have ceiling fans in each of the bedrooms and great room (2) (and one on
the back porch, but no AC there . The bedroom fans are in use whenever
we're using the room or are going to within the next few hours. The great
room fans don't get turned off from April to October. The fans allow us to
keep the temperature a bit above what we normally would (generally 77F)
without them and we normally keep the upstairs heat pump off (there are only
two of us and the master is on the first floor). The great room ceiling is
20', so those fans really are needed to mix the air for the AC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

Coming from a guy who lives alone and has 7 televisions, I don't think
your comments would carry too much credibility.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Sounds to me like they are out of your control, and need to be brought back
under your control. Hell, yes. And don't mince any words. What's the
worst that could happen? Lose their friendship? It wasn't that good to
start with if your level of acceptance and tolerance of their behavior is
what it is to risk the friendship over some fans.

Are you going to report this back at the Gulag? Either that you instigated
some energy savings, or just want to get them into the room with the facial
rat cages? Will your own carbon credit account benefit?

I wouldn't say anything to them. I'd just turn the very obvious and
wasteful Republican conservatives in to the proper authorities for the
proper punishment.

HTH

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote
It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of which are actually making them more comfortable.

Is it worth saying anything to them?

No, they'd not understand the logic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Depends, but you got to keep in mind that it's not your house. They
may have a reason you don't know about. I might make a joke and
say, "This house is great for flying a kite."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 5:49*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"mm" wrote

It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of which are actually making them more comfortable.

Is it worth saying anything to them?

No, they'd not understand the logic. *

a buddy has family like that no AC, the family leaves fans running
24/7 even when no one is home and often windows are shut for fear of
rain.

his family doesnt get that each fan running is adding more heat from
the fan motors.

sadly many are clueless over stuff like this.

I wouldnt say anything they wouldnt believe you
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Moving air feels cooler. If you use fans you can set the thermostat
higher. If they're happy I'd leave them alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Just how does it make AC work harder, moving air makes you feel cooler
and its their house. Whats next, telling them how to water and cut
their grass and when to change motor oil?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dss dss is offline

The real problem is the grown kids living at home. The human body
generates a tremendous amount of heat, even at rest. Once they are
gone the air conditioner and fans could probably be used less. The
fans are cheap compared to extra adults.

dss
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I have central AC and also continuously operate ceiling fans in the
two bedrooms and the living room. It keeps the hot air from
collecting at the top of the room. Otherwise, I'd have to crank
down the thermostat even farther and end up with cold feet.

The HVAC vents are at floor level as is customary in the North.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 5:30*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

higher. *If they're happy I'd leave them alone.- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I turn on the funace fan when it begings to be a bit too warm.
That staves off the A/C starting for a time. Yesterday it didn't
start at all until I turned the fan off. Within about 10 minutes the
a/c kicked in. Put the fan back on, a/c completed its cycle and
didnt' fire up again all afternoon. Running a fractional horse
furnace fan beats running a multi horse compressor motor.

Harry K
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 10:12*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

Cindy Hamilton- Hide quoted text -

I wouldn't have the fans running in the rooms that are not occupied.
I have fans in my den and in the bedroom. I only put them on if I'm
going to be in there. But in the grand scheme of things, this isn't
a big deal. Those fans don't use much electricity nor do they
generate much heat. That's why they are cost effective to begin
with. So, you could ask them why they run them in unoccupied rooms,
but I certainly would not make some issue of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:27:37 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

I don't run them all at once, only the room I'm in. Two if I'm going
back and forth. And regardless of whether I did or not, I wouldn't
be trying to tell them I'm better than they are. Whether their fans
are making the rooms they are not in hotter, and costing them money
just to be hotter, are matters of fact. And the facts don't depend on
the good or bad habits of whoever is teling them about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 04:14:13 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Jun 30, 5:49*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"mm" wrote

It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of which are actually making them more comfortable.

Is it worth saying anything to them?

No, they'd not understand the logic. *

a buddy has family like that no AC, the family leaves fans running
24/7 even when no one is home and often windows are shut for fear of
rain.

his family doesnt get that each fan running is adding more heat from
the fan motors.

sadly many are clueless over stuff like this.

I wouldnt say anything they wouldnt believe you

You may well be right. They both have Ph.D's, the man's in
mathematics. I've always thought that math and physics and home
repair were all closely related, but I had a lot of trouble explaining
something very simple, like how some simple light or telelphone
circuit worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

[...]

Tactful, and that's very good, but I know if you said that to me, I
woudln't get it. I might not even tie it to the fans, and certainly
not to a suggestion I turn some of them off.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

That's what I was asking about.

Thanks to you and everyone who offered help.

That's why they are cost effective to begin
with. So, you could ask them why they run them in unoccupied rooms,

Maybe I'll do that.

but I certainly would not make some issue of it.

Definitely not.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jun 30, 8:59*am, ransley wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

mm doesn't believe that ceiling fans make you feel cooler.

But, in rooms that are unoccupied, yes it is stupid to run fans in
those rooms, and even more stupid to cool them at all if the rooms
aren't being used on a daily basses.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

While fans in rooms not occupied is likely just laziness, I feel that
if you can tolerate the wind and the noise, running fans can save
money on AC. I do it, so I can set the thermostat a couple of degrees
higher, and it works. I have ceiling fans in all rooms, 2 in large
rooms, and run them when I'm there. The exception being the upstairs
bedroom which has one running constantly during AC season so you can
stand to go in there during the setback when it is up to 90 degrees in
there. I also have a box fan and a small oscillator which are used
infrequently but make living at a higher setting closer to pleasant.
Those fractional HP motors all put together don't = the air handler,
let alone the compressor & any heat is produced is negligible. Trust
me, I'd love to run the AC at 72 degrees, and as soon as I win the
lottery I will.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

The only downside I can see is that you might get hit in the mouth for being
a buttinsky and accused of acting like a government employee.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 9:12*am, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Jun 29, 11:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

Ceiling fans help even with the HVAC vents in the ceiling. Mixing air
is a good thing. I'd run them in the Winter, too, but drafts make it
feel colder so it defeats the purpose. The really don't use a lot of
electricity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt
light bulb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 11:28*am, mm wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:27:37 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

Ok, how much more does it take to suck away the heat generated
by a ceiling fan? A dollar a day? Ten dollars a day?

I'm in full agreement that the heat from the fan has to be dealt
with by the air conditioner, but how much does that really take?

Should I worry more about the insolation from opening the curtain
on the south-facing window so my houseplants can get light?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 4:32*pm, " wrote:
a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt
light bulb

We have the opposite problem, keeping warm. No AC except the odd newer
house that has a heat pump that can be reversed to do AC.

BTW here is one quote ......................
"The total amount of heat produced over a period of time is equal to
the total calories consumed minus any useful mechanical work
performed. If a person consumes an average of 2400 kilocalories per
day, the average heat produced is 100 kilocalories per hour or 116
watts.".

Since a kilowatt = about 3300 BTUs that 116 Watts = approx 380 BTUs.

Since it got a little warmer here recently (mid/late June) have
noticed can often keep house comfortable with the formal heat off and
incidental heat from the fridge, a few lights, in the evening,
occasional cooking, couple of computers, maybe the TV, letting the
shower water to cool down to room temperature etc.

Also the sun is sometimes in evidence but when that happens of course
all the leaves on our approx. 70 trees are out and not much reaches
the windows!

Each fan probably does not use any more than say 10 to 15 watts? Or
about one tenth the amount of heat of one human body. And fans keep
air moving thus helping human perspiration to evaporate and one to
feel and be cooler. probaly more efficient than cooling all the air in
the house to a greater degree.

Of course if I had the chance I'd build into the side of a hill for
easier and more efficient temperature control, summer and winter. Our
unheated (except for heat filtering down from the living floor above),
almost fully in ground and unfinished concrete walled basement stays
around 50 deg F during our winters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

say, "This house is great for flying a kite." *- Hide quoted text -

The correct opening line for the conversation is:

"Hey, that must be just one of your many fans."
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder how many watts of heat, a fan generates. 50 to 100 maybe.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Chief Two Eagles" wrote in message
news
It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the
hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans
and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of
which are actually making them more comfortable.

Is it worth saying anything to them?

It's probably none of your business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hmm. So, a baby in a crib creates the same heat as a teenager, who
creates the same heat as a granny in a wheel chair? I didn't know
that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt
light bulb

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 1:46*pm, Cindy Hamilton
wrote:
On Jun 30, 11:28*am, mm wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:27:37 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
mm wrote:

[...]

About half as much electricity as the fan uses. IOW, an infinitesimal
amount.

I'm in full agreement that the heat from the fan has to be dealt
with by the air conditioner, but how much does that really take?

Should I worry more about the insolation from opening the curtain
on the south-facing window so my houseplants can get light?

*Far* more. That amounts to real heat, particularly in the summer.
Can you feel the heat from the sun? Can you feel the heat from the
fan?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:28:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

The correct opening line for the conversation is:

"Hey, that must be just one of your many fans."

No.

"Hey, can you turn that fan on high? I'm hot!"

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jamesgangnc" wrote
mm wrote:

Six fans running at all times

I was at friends on Sunday, and it was 94 out and their AC was on, and
it was comfortable in the house, and they also had on 6 fans on the

I use only fans at that 94F level though that's about when I close up and
turn on the AC. The fans are set to allow whole house air flow. Being more
south probably of some of you, we don't consider 94F that hot if there is a
nice breeze and inside, it would be 5-6 degrees cooler.

Moving air feels cooler. If you use fans you can set the thermostat
higher. If they're happy I'd leave them alone.

Correct. Thermostat set 84, checked bills and it's less with fans and 76F
thermostat for same comfort level.

If some well meaning yahoo were to say it would be cooler without the fans,
I'd politely turn them off until the sweat started dripping off their nose
then offer to turn them back on. Then again, they'd probably get stupid and
say without the fans it would cost the same to set the temp to 70.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:32:48 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt
light bulb

....and?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:39:45 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Hmm. So, a baby in a crib creates the same heat as a teenager, who
creates the same heat as a granny in a wheel chair? I didn't know
that.

Sure, unless one of them is a politician. ...or posting to the Usenet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:54:14 -0700 (PDT), Eric in North TX
wrote:

On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

No, fans help move air so AC works better; more evenly.

I feel that
if you can tolerate the wind and the noise, running fans can save
money on AC. I do it, so I can set the thermostat a couple of degrees
higher, and it works. I have ceiling fans in all rooms, 2 in large
rooms, and run them when I'm there. The exception being the upstairs
bedroom which has one running constantly during AC season so you can
stand to go in there during the setback when it is up to 90 degrees in
there. I also have a box fan and a small oscillator which are used
infrequently but make living at a higher setting closer to pleasant.

We do the same, except the ceiling fans in the great room don't get shut off
between April and October. The room is big enough that the air needs help
circulating, even if the AC is off. Yes, we can keep the temperature several
degrees warmer with fans running. I prefer it because I really don't like AC,
but living in AL there isn't much choice.

I don't generally run the upstairs heat pump because the downstairs works fine
as long as air is moved. It gets way too hot otherwise.

Those fractional HP motors all put together don't = the air handler,
let alone the compressor & any heat is produced is negligible. Trust
me, I'd love to run the AC at 72 degrees, and as soon as I win the
lottery I will.

I wouldn't. I don't mind it 67F in the Winter, but 72F feels too cold in the
Summer. I guess the difference is the way we dress.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2010 10:47 PM, mm wrote:
[...]

nope. people with a/c on think they need fans also. They don't really
know what they want.

--
Steve Barker

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Yep. If it feels good...
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:34:32 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On Jun 30, 1:46*pm, Cindy Hamilton
Coming from a guy who lives alone and has 7 televisions, I don't think
your comments would carry too much credibility.

I don't run them all at once, only the room I'm in. *Two if I'm going
back and forth. * And regardless of whether I did or not, I wouldn't
be trying to tell them I'm better than they are. * Whether their fans
are making the rooms they are not in hotter, and costing them money
just to be hotter, are matters of fact. *And the facts don't depend on
the good or bad habits of whoever is teling them about it.

Ok, how much more does it take to suck away the heat generated
by a ceiling fan? *A dollar a day? *Ten dollars a day?

I don't think it's 10. Probably not even a dollar. I've known for a
while that I treat different kinds of waste differently. If a movie
production wastes loads of film, or gasoline, or has to build a mockup
house to blow it up, that doesn't bother me, but if they take this
year's model car that runs well and blow that up, I really hate that.

Here what bothers me the most is not the wasting, but that they make
heat just to pump it outside where it is already hot. I wouldn't
turn off a fan if I were only leaving a room for 5 minutes, or even
longer, but I think they just haven't realized that they are making
heat with the fans. Like a couple posters said.

About half as much electricity as the fan uses. IOW, an infinitesimal
amount.

Well it's not infinitesimal. The fan uses roughly what the wattage
rating is on the fan itself. I've never looked.

The total heat is like you say, twice that much.

I'm in full agreement that the heat from the fan has to be dealt
with by the air conditioner, but how much does that really take?
Should I worry more about the insolation from opening the curtain
on the south-facing window so my houseplants can get light?

*Far* more. That amounts to real heat, particularly in the summer.

I think they do keep their shades closed. They had a big bay window
facing east on their previous house and put in special glass and
planted a tree to keep the heat out.

Can you feel the heat from the sun? Can you feel the heat from the
fan?

Not the best test. The heat from the fan is dispersed all over the
room with the blown air. In fact it's in six rooms, so the most one
can feel is 1/6 of the heat, and that's if he could be everywhere in
one room at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:

[...]

You have a good memory. That's pretty much true regarding the
summer, but people here tell me they do and I wasn't going to suggest
otherwise to my friends.