Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Six fans running at all times

On Jun 30, 4:32*pm, " wrote:
a human body produces about the same amount of heat as a 100 watt
light bulb

We have the opposite problem, keeping warm. No AC except the odd newer
house that has a heat pump that can be reversed to do AC.

BTW here is one quote ......................
"The total amount of heat produced over a period of time is equal to
the total calories consumed minus any useful mechanical work
performed. If a person consumes an average of 2400 kilocalories per
day, the average heat produced is 100 kilocalories per hour or 116
watts.".

Since a kilowatt = about 3300 BTUs that 116 Watts = approx 380 BTUs.

Since it got a little warmer here recently (mid/late June) have
noticed can often keep house comfortable with the formal heat off and
incidental heat from the fridge, a few lights, in the evening,
occasional cooking, couple of computers, maybe the TV, letting the
shower water to cool down to room temperature etc.

Also the sun is sometimes in evidence but when that happens of course
all the leaves on our approx. 70 trees are out and not much reaches
the windows!

Each fan probably does not use any more than say 10 to 15 watts? Or
about one tenth the amount of heat of one human body. And fans keep
air moving thus helping human perspiration to evaporate and one to
feel and be cooler. probaly more efficient than cooling all the air in
the house to a greater degree.

Of course if I had the chance I'd build into the side of a hill for
easier and more efficient temperature control, summer and winter. Our
unheated (except for heat filtering down from the living floor above),
almost fully in ground and unfinished concrete walled basement stays
around 50 deg F during our winters.