Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Six fans running at all times

On Jul 1, 12:24*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:34:32 -0700 (PDT), keith
wrote:

On Jun 30, 1:46*pm, Cindy Hamilton
Coming from a guy who lives alone and has 7 televisions, I don't think
your comments would carry too much credibility.

I don't run them all at once, only the room I'm in. *Two if I'm going
back and forth. * And regardless of whether I did or not, I wouldn't
be trying to tell them I'm better than they are. * Whether their fans
are making the rooms they are not in hotter, and costing them money
just to be hotter, are matters of fact. *And the facts don't depend on
the good or bad habits of whoever is teling them about it.

Ok, how much more does it take to suck away the heat generated
by a ceiling fan? *A dollar a day? *Ten dollars a day?

I don't think it's 10. *Probably not even a dollar.

Nowhere *NEAR* a dollar. I have two running 24/7. I'd notice $60
more a month when they're turned on in April (or so). I don't.

*I've known for a
while that I treat different kinds of waste differently. *If a movie
production wastes loads of film, or gasoline, or has to build a mockup
house to blow it up, that doesn't bother me, but if they take this
year's model car that runs well and blow that up, I really hate that.

Yes, some people have really silly hangups.

Here what bothers me the most is not the wasting, but that they make
heat just to pump it outside where it is already hot.

ACs pump it from the inside were it's not already cool. Fans allow
one to do less of that, saving money. What's your beef?

I wouldn't
turn off a fan if I were only leaving a room for 5 minutes, or even
longer, but I think they just haven't realized that they are making
heat with the fans. *Like a couple posters said.

A small amount, in trade for better mixing of the air.

About half as much electricity as the fan uses. *IOW, an infinitesimal
amount.

Well it's not infinitesimal. *

Yes, it really is.

The fan uses roughly what the wattage
rating is on the fan itself.

No! A device that does what it says it does. Who wudda thunk!

*I've never looked.

So you're talking from absolute ignorance.

The total heat is like you say, twice that much.

You can't read, either. That would be 1-1/2 times as much.

I'm in full agreement that the heat from the fan has to be dealt
with by the air conditioner, but how much does that really take?
Should I worry more about the insolation from opening the curtain
on the south-facing window so my houseplants can get light?

*Far* more. *That amounts to real heat, particularly in the summer.

I think they do keep their shades closed. * They had a big bay window
facing east on their previous house and put in special glass and
planted a tree to keep the heat out.

Can you feel the heat from the sun? *Can you feel the heat from the
fan?

Not the best test. *

It *is* a good one. In this case the answer is obvious.

The heat from the fan is dispersed all over the
room with the blown air. *In fact it's in six rooms, so the most one
can feel is 1/6 of the heat, and that's if he could be everywhere in
one room at the same time.

So is the sun's heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ron Ron is offline

On Jul 1, 1:25*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 08:41:18 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

On Jun 30, 8:59*am, ransley wrote:
On Jun 29, 10:47*pm, mm wrote:

Six fans running at all times

I was at friends on Sunday, and it was 94 out and their AC was on, and
it was comfortable in the house, and they also had on 6 fans on the
first floor. *(Perhaps more in the finished basement where one son
lives.)

Each of the three bedrooms on the first floor had a ceiling fan that
was running; there was a whirring fan in the hall, on a 40" stand.

A table fan in the living room, and an oscillating table fan in the
dining room.

A couple and two grown kids live there, so never are all those rooms
occupied, and when they eat together, which is often and lengthy, only
one room is. *Most of the time, two, maybe 3 rooms have someone in
them.

It seems to me they're making it harder for their AC to keep up with
the hot outdoors, and at the very least, they're paying to run the 6
fans and then paying again to remove the heat the fans make, only a
couple of which are actually making them more comfortable. * * *

Is it worth saying anything to them?

Just how does it make AC work harder, moving air makes you feel cooler
and its their house. Whats next, telling them how to water and cut
their grass and when to change motor oil?

mm doesn't believe that ceiling fans make you feel cooler.

You have a good memory. * That's pretty much true regarding the
summer, but people here tell me they do and I wasn't going to suggest
otherwise to my friends.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceiling+fans+wind+chill

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ceiling+fans+cool+breeze+effect
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 30, 6:29*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 12:28:11 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:
The correct opening line for the conversation is:

"Hey, that must be just one of your many fans."

No.

"Hey, can you turn that fan on high? I'm hot!"

So you didn't get the joke?
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 01 Jul 2010 01:20:46 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 06:38:09 -0400, Phisherman
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 23:47:05 -0400, mm
wrote:

[...]

Depends, but you got to keep in mind that it's not your house. They
may have a reason you don't know about. I might make a joke and
say, "This house is great for flying a kite."

They sound like morons. You need to speak to them in the "moronic
language". Remember, guns speak louder than words and even a complete
moron will normally recognize a gun.

Walk into their house with a large double barrel shotgun. Point it at
the first running fan you see. Tell them they have 20 seconds to shut
the energy wasting fan off, or it's gets blown to kingdom come. Allow
them 20 seconds to turn it off. If not, pull the trigger (wait till
they are out of the way). Go to the next fan and repeat. By this
time they will likely shut off the fan, knowing you mean business.
Continue to all six fans. I can guarantee you WILL get a response
(one way or the other).

Note: If you must shoot the fan, aim for the motor or the power cord.
Dont hit a fan blade, the bullet may come back at you. Besides, there
will be more "fireworks" when you hit the electrical parts, which will
add to the excitement. It's unlikely you'll have to actually shoot
more than the first fan once they get the picture and know you're
serious.

I have to print this out and take it with me.