Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet started to clog frequently

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus32553 wrote:
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Sounds like either the vent stack is blocked, or there is something
caught in the U trap of the toilet or as in the case I had it was lodged
in the toilet just before the wax ring and flange.

In our case I was able to cast the blame to the opposite sex with in the
family. Seems some one dropped a feminine hygiene product into the
toilet as it was flushing wrapper, plastic applicator, and all.

Can't hurt to lift the toilet and take a look
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 7:44*pm, Ignoramus32553 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32553.invalid wrote:
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Use a six foot auger.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 10:44*pm, Ignoramus32553 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32553.invalid wrote:
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Plunger. But, I think in your case, you can use your head.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ignoramus32553 wrote:

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Get a flex inspection camera on sale for $89.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tor-66550.html
--
If I wasn't me I wouldn't like me either.
Signature file not found

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Others have offered good suggestions. Here's another which may be simpler,
depending on your idea of simpler. A few weeks ago, my toilet began running
constantly, but slightly. Enough to make me do the wrong thing because I
didn't have time to diagnose it correctly: I bent the float ball arm down a
bit. That stopped it from running between flushes, but it also lowered the
water level just enough to make it flush badly & get partially clogged. Take
a peek inside the tank of your toilet. It's possible that some of the
internals may be out of order and having the same effect. The water line
should be fairly easy to see.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

Sounds like a problem I had once. One of the kids dropped a plastic lid
from a bottle in the toilet and it caught just at the outlet at the bottom
of the toilet. If I used the plunger, it would turn the lid crosswise in
the opening and let the toilet flush. It soon would turn the other way and
block the opening. It had to pull the toilet to find the problem and easily
fix it.
Elgy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 12:14*pm, "ELGY" lgpetersatcomcastdotnet wrote:
"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message

... We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

Sounds like a problem I had once. *One of the kids dropped a plastic lid
from a bottle in the toilet and it caught just at the outlet at the bottom
of the toilet. *If I used the plunger, it would turn the lid crosswise in
the opening and let the toilet flush. *It soon would turn the other way and
block the opening. *It had to pull the toilet to find the problem and easily
fix it.
Elgy

If your toilet flushes solids fine with a bucket but fails to move the
solids along when flusing normally, and you see the water just swirl
around the interior bowl rim passages may be clogged with sediment,
acid can fixthat easy and fast
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

You need to eat more fiber. Obviously something changed in your diet.
Pooping more often may help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:22*pm, " wrote:
On Jun 21, 12:14*pm, "ELGY" lgpetersatcomcastdotnet wrote:

"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message

m... We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
[...]

Less dangerous than acid is a coat hanger which can be used to clear
the sediment from the rim holes.

You just can't mind getting up close and personal with your toilet.

BTDT

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:14:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

If your toilet flushes solids fine with a bucket but fails to move the
solids along when flusing normally, and you see the water just swirl
around the interior bowl rim passages may be clogged with sediment,
acid can fixthat easy and fast

acid can fix that easy and fast

Less dangerous than acid is a coat hanger which can be used to clear
the sediment from the rim holes.

You just can't mind getting up close and personal with your toilet.

BTDT

Not to mention, if the toilet is on a septic system. That acid should
be neutralized before flushing.

Instead of a coat hanger, I've seen it mentioned here to use a
cleaning rod (short) with a brass bore tip -- from a gun cleaning kit.
Say .22 brush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a toilet cloggin on ocassion for years and years, I removed it once
took it out in the driveway and gave the trap a power flush..A lot of
calcium material built came out, I reinstalled the toilet and then 2 years
after that flush I replaced it with a new unit.
It seems the new units from what I have been told is finished internally,
where the older units are not leaving the rough iron to the hold deposits..2
years now and no problems...
"Ignoramus32553" wrote in message
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 5:14*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Jun 21, 2:22*pm, " wrote:

[...]

BTDT- Hide quoted text -

coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside the
bowl rim passages.

and acid is not dangerous if used with minimal care. wear safety or
regular glasses open the window, buy a funnel that fits in the riser
tube, pour carefully dont splash. muriatic acid today isnt real strong
its used for cleaning brick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

years now and no problems..."Ignoramus32553" wrote in message

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks- Hide quoted text -

older water waster flushers tended to rarely clog and were pretty
quiet, unlike the government mandated low flow toilets of today
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2010-06-21, LSMFT wrote:
Ignoramus32553 wrote:

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Get a flex inspection camera on sale for $89.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tor-66550.html

You think that it might last for at least one use?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:22*pm, " wrote:

[...]

You'll get no argument from me as to how far a coat hanger can reach.

All I can say is that the coat hanger worked for me. My "sluggish
toilet" was back to its old self after spending some quality time on
my knees chipping and scraping as much I could with the hanger.

If acid would have done "better" I don't know that I would have
noticed a difference.

YMMV
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,

On 2010-06-21, LSMFT wrote:
Ignoramus32553 wrote:

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Get a flex inspection camera on sale for $89.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...4-inch-color-l
cd-monitor-66550.html

You think that it might last for at least one use?

No. It says "water resistant." That's a far cry from "submersible."
Posted to alt.home.repair

32553.invalid wrote:
We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

I've also noticed that the cheaper toilets with the unglazed trap are
more prone to intermittent clogging that those where the bowl and trap
are fully glazed. Part of it I think is the drag factor on solids, and
part of it is the unglazed porcelain is more likely to allow for
mineral build-up if you have hard water.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 2:22 pm, " wrote:

On Jun 21, 12:14 pm, "ELGY" lgpetersatcomcastdotnet wrote:

"Ignoramus32553" wrote in
message

[...]

============

Thanks to you hallerb, I haven't had a clogged toilet in a couple of years
now. The muriatic acid is a very easy and safe solution to the problem.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"LSMFT" wrote in message
Ignoramus32553 wrote:

We have a particular toilet on the second floor, that started to clog
from time to time. Every time I could unclog it (I do not recall the
name of the tool, it has a rubber bulb and is made to push water
forcefully when its handle is pushed), but it bothers me and I would
like to know how I can resolve this permanently.

thanks

Get a flex inspection camera on sale for $89.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/wireles...tor-66550.html
--

Not on sale now. )-: They want $159.99 for it!!!!. Might be worth $90 to
me, but not $160. Do they have frequent sales on it? This is one of the

I also see a non-contact IR thermo on sale for $26 but I can get them from
Ebay (via HK) for under $20, shipping included. Very useful for checking
microwaved food for compliance without getting a dial thermo dirty. Also
useful for spotting leaks around doors and windows.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message

stuff snipped

"coat hanger can only clean the output holes, it cant reach inside
the bowl rim passages."

You'll get no argument from me as to how far a coat hanger can reach.

All I can say is that the coat hanger worked for me. My "sluggish
toilet" was back to its old self after spending some quality time on
my knees chipping and scraping as much I could with the hanger.

If acid would have done "better" I don't know that I would have
noticed a difference.

If acid kept me from having to worship the porcelain god on my knees, I'd
choose acid every time.

--
Bobby G.