Default Frequently plugged toilet

I posted before Thanksgiving the toilet in the bathroom of the rental
not flushing well. This is one which has an original lead waste bend
which leaked before I replaced with a PVC one like six or seven years
ago. The toliet was the old standard non-water-saving type I am very
hesitant to replace. During Thanksgiving I removed the toilet, could
not find anything wrong, put it back with a new flush valve having a
higher overflow tube. My strategy was to flush with even more water in
the tank.

It didn't work. The tenants are having the same complaint.

Now I'd appreciate a toilet recommendation. I won't exactly go cheap,
knowing you get what you pay for. But I won't pamper them either.
It's a rental after all. I had a water-saving Kohler a few years ago
which works but doesn't flush with power.

Advice is appreciated.

Hound Dog

wrote in message
oups.com...
I posted before Thanksgiving the toilet in the bathroom of the rental
not flushing well. This is one which has an original lead waste bend
which leaked before I replaced with a PVC one like six or seven years
ago. The toliet was the old standard non-water-saving type I am very
hesitant to replace. During Thanksgiving I removed the toilet, could
not find anything wrong, put it back with a new flush valve having a
higher overflow tube. My strategy was to flush with even more water in
the tank.

It didn't work. The tenants are having the same complaint.

Now I'd appreciate a toilet recommendation. I won't exactly go cheap,
knowing you get what you pay for. But I won't pamper them either.
It's a rental after all. I had a water-saving Kohler a few years ago
which works but doesn't flush with power.

Advice is appreciated.

Before changing the toilet you may want to try a different toilet paper.

I was having a lot of problems until a plumber friend suggested I try the
cheapest paper I could find. Went to a cheap version of Scot and the
flushing problems went away immediately.

Seems the "soft" "quilted" papers are too thick and take too long to break
down. They are a lot more expensive also.

m Ransley

Test the toilet yourself with their toilet paper perhaps the tennants
dump to much paper in it

When I removed the toilet during Thanksgiving, the PVC bend, the rubber
connector between the bend and what remained of the lead bend stub
which sticks out from the cast iron waste stack were all clean. I did
use a small mirror and shined a flashlight to look inside. Anything
foreign matter clogging it was ruled out.

Is there an air hole in the bottom of the bowl? That's new to me.

Michael Baugh

Well, there's an air hole that becomes a water hole when the toilet is
flushed.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there an air hole in the bottom of the bowl? That's new to me.