Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cutting Sidewalk Expansion Joints

So I tried to single-handedly replace a slab of sidewalk last week.
Near killed my po' self, mixing and pouring, etc. Was so worried
about thunderstorms etc, I forgot to cut/set the expansion joints.
Forced 'em in as the 'crete was being finished. They stick up
as much as an inch above slab-level.

How do you cut this stuff? It is Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft.
Expansion Joint per Homey-Flogging-Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

Sez it is made from resilient cane fiber. Looks like cardboard
soaked in asphalt gunk. Tried cutting with utility knife, it sorta
shreds.

Best case would be if I could pull 'em out without making a hideous mess. Then
I could cut some wood joints to replace 'em. But they don't seem to wanna
come out.

Mea Culpa: I blew this part of the job. Any help much appreciated.

Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...h_d2/ProductDi...

Sez it is made from resilient cane fiber. Looks like cardboard
soaked in asphalt gunk. Tried cutting with utility knife, it sorta
shreds.

Best case would be if I could pull 'em out without making a hideous mess. Then
I could cut some wood joints to replace 'em. But they don't seem to wanna
come out.

Mea Culpa: I blew this part of the job. Any help much appreciated.

Will

I would think a handsaw made to cut wood should work, no? You can
use the tip end of it, so that it is just about flat against the
concrete. Or maybe use a drywall saw in similar fashion. If you
need a finer blade, they have saws that are essentially a handle that
you stick a hack saw blade into and they grip onto it. Leave a lot
of blade out and you can lay it flat. Or one of those fancy new muti-
function saws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote

How do you cut this stuff? It is Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft.
Expansion Joint per Homey-Flogging-Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

There is a dovetail saw with an offset handle used for cutting door trim
when laying laminate flooring. It would be perfect for that job. About $12
at Home Dept.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 5:45�pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
[...]

Use an angle grinder, Virtually any disk will do, the coarser the
better. Might pong a bit.

If they don't go right through the concrete it's a bit of a waste of
time. You would have been better to leave them out and cut slots with
a 9" angle grinder with a diamond wheel after the concrete had gone
hard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wilfred Xavier Pickles" wrote in messagenews:eovh16dfkffgst7107kaftsfcus2vh0l2e@4ax .com...

[...]

Will- Hide quoted text -

Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

A sharp thin bladed knife or even a handheld hacksaw blade should do it. If
using the knife, you could just slice into both sides, then bend it back and
forth to break it off. Then clean up the edge with a sharp 1/2" wood chisel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 11:32*pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:00:19 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you use.

That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ...
I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the
blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap
one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles.
Saw patiently.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:

So I tried to single-handedly replace a slab of sidewalk last week.
Near killed my po' self, mixing and pouring, etc. Was so worried
about thunderstorms etc, I forgot to cut/set the expansion joints.
Forced 'em in as the 'crete was being finished. They stick up
as much as an inch above slab-level.

How do you cut this stuff? It is Quikrete 1/2 In. x 4 In. x 5 Ft.
Expansion Joint per Homey-Flogging-Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...uctDisplay?lan
gId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Sez it is made from resilient cane fiber. Looks like cardboard
soaked in asphalt gunk. Tried cutting with utility knife, it sorta
shreds.

Best case would be if I could pull 'em out without making a hideous mess.
Then
I could cut some wood joints to replace 'em. But they don't seem to wanna
come out.

Mea Culpa: I blew this part of the job. Any help much appreciated.

Will

Uh, did you read the "no drip caulk gun" thread? Apparently the checkout
persons at HD are now telling you how to do things. I'm sure they'd be
able to guide you.

How about a router?
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

On Jun 16, 11:45*am, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
[...]

The Harbor Freight multifunction tool. Users say it will do ANYTHING!

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:00:19 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you use.

That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ...
I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the
blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap
one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles.
Saw patiently.

I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you
don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws. (Did
a real Huh? when I realized that one....)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

That probably would do this one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you
use.
That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ...
I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the
blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap
one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles.
Saw patiently.

I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you
don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws.
(Did a real Huh? when I realized that one....)

Get real long blades so they can flex to lie flat. Use the plastic from a cut up
clorox bottle to protect the concrete under the end of the blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote:

Red wrote:

-snip-
The Harbor Freight multifunction tool. Users say it will do ANYTHING!

That probably would do this one.

Apparently those folks who have started using theirs [I *do* have one-
just haven't started using it] are too busy doing stuff with the
multifunction tool to waste time on Usenet these days.g

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:57:17 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

wrote:
Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you
use.
That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ...
I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the
blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will

Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap
one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles.
Saw patiently.

I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you
don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws.
(Did a real Huh? when I realized that one....)

Get real long blades so they can flex to lie flat. Use the plastic from a cut up
clorox bottle to protect the concrete under the end of the blade.

Tried several saw blades. The stuff shreds, jams the teeth, saw slows
way down 'till ya clean out the teeth, takes too long.

I finally got it done by repeatedly wd-40-ing a utility knife
blade, scoring repeatedly both sides, then using a serrated steak knife
for the final slice. This, out in the hot, hot sun, with the
damned red ants crawling all over the place. Super-PITA!!

Thx,
Will

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Too bad we don't have a FAQ for this group- you coulda documented it
all, and ensured your place in history.

(Hey, we all do dumb things sometimes- I'd say the DIY gods have
punished you enough for your memory lapse on this one.)

Bet you won't forget to place the black strips first next time you pour
concrete. :^)

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 19:40:00 -0400, aemeijers wrote:

[...]

I'd have 'em flawlessly layed out, cut, and placed before the first
bag of premix was opened.

But I over-spec'd my capacity for the work. Will never, ever
attempt such (alone) again. Pure foolishness on my part. Too
damned old ...

Will
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
(snip)
But I over-spec'd my capacity for the work. Will never, ever
attempt such (alone) again. Pure foolishness on my part. Too
damned old ...

Will

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger on that one. I had big plans for this
place when I moved in. Got a few of them done, mostly by writing checks.
I think a lot of the remaining ones (paint, remove basement carpet,
rebuild deck and replace half the siding, de-crap backyard tree-lines,
etc) are gonna be the next owner's problem. No SWMBO to keep happy, and
I am finding that the garish wallpaper doesn't bother me as much any
more. :^/

--
aem, still healing up from not sure exactly what a couple of weeks ago,
sends....