Posted to alt.home.repair

Default replace expansion joints in concrete

There is a felt joint in the middle acrros my garage floor. It is
fairly rotted and soaked with automotive fluid after years. I removed
it all with a screw driver. Then used a 5/8" foam filler rod and
silicone caulk to fill the gap. This fixed the cosmetics but now I
was thinking maybe I did something bad, should I reinstalled a piece of
new felt? Is the whole slab going to move and cause problems? The
garage is 20 years old.

If I get a new piece of felt how do I get it in the joint properly?

Thanks ina dvance

Posted to alt.home.repair
chickenwing

wrote:
There is a felt joint in the middle acrros my garage floor. It is

you no give enough information for frog to leap

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
There is a felt joint in the middle acrros my garage floor. It is
fairly rotted and soaked with automotive fluid after years. I removed
it all with a screw driver. Then used a 5/8" foam filler rod and
silicone caulk to fill the gap. This fixed the cosmetics but now I
was thinking maybe I did something bad, should I reinstalled a piece of
new felt? Is the whole slab going to move and cause problems? The
garage is 20 years old.

If I get a new piece of felt how do I get it in the joint properly?

It will be just fine. No way will you get a new piece of felt into the
crack.

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

Nahh, you did fine. What you've done is better than felt, since it'll
seal up the crack better.

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

Ya done good!

The felt was installed to allow the slabs to expand and to provide
a control joint so the cracks were in a nice straight line.

Backer rod and caulk or poured tar are the normal pavement
sealers. Inside the garage probably didn't need the sealant to
prevent subgrade moisture, it was a cosmetic issue only.

(top posted for your convenience)
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

ups.com...