Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Cutting Sidewalk Expansion Joints

Wilfred Xavier Pickles wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:57:17 -0700, "Bob F" wrote:

aemeijers wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jun 16, 11:32 pm, Wilfred Xavier Pickles
wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:00:19 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:
Figure you're probably going to ruin the blade of what ever you
use.
That's what I woulda figgered, but I got some alum. flashing ...
I'll try to cut a 1/2 " slot in it, put it down to protect the
blade ... Who knows? Might work.

Will
Sounds like a pita to me. I'd try an 18 tooth hacksaw blade. Wrap
one end with a rag and wear a work glove to protect your knuckles.
Saw patiently.
I'd buy a package of cheap sawzall blades at HF, and use those. If you
don't have a sawzall, the same blades fit most manual drywall saws.
(Did a real Huh? when I realized that one....)

Get real long blades so they can flex to lie flat. Use the plastic from a cut up
clorox bottle to protect the concrete under the end of the blade.

Tried several saw blades. The stuff shreds, jams the teeth, saw slows
way down 'till ya clean out the teeth, takes too long.

I finally got it done by repeatedly wd-40-ing a utility knife
blade, scoring repeatedly both sides, then using a serrated steak knife
for the final slice. This, out in the hot, hot sun, with the
damned red ants crawling all over the place. Super-PITA!!

Thx,
Will

Too bad we don't have a FAQ for this group- you coulda documented it
all, and ensured your place in history.

(Hey, we all do dumb things sometimes- I'd say the DIY gods have
punished you enough for your memory lapse on this one.)

Bet you won't forget to place the black strips first next time you pour
concrete. :^)

--
aem sends...