Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Permitting: rat on neighbor?

The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"woger151" wrote in message
The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.

Why don't you read up on the regs for your neighbor's project, and if it
looks like he's doing it right, then mind your own business?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/10 8:23 AM, woger151 wrote:
The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.

Guys like you got the snot beat out of them on the school playground...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 8:26*am, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
"woger151" wrote in message

The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. *Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. *(NB: *do not know him.) *Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. *I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. *Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.

Why don't you read up on the regs for your neighbor's project, and if it
looks like he's doing it right, then mind your own business?- Hide quoted text -

Hard to do. The publicly available info clearly states they need a
permit, but that's more because of legal issues. (Driveways intersect
the county right-of-way; the county wants to keep tabs on significant
improvements for property value tracking; etc.)

In terms of "substance" (engineering, etc), looks like the main code
is ICC or whatever, which isn't online for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
"woger151" wrote in message

[...]

============

Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds at
what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have *needed* a
permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is required
for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a
permanent foundation.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have
*needed* a
permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is
required
for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a
permanent foundation.

The OP's original message SUGGESTED that a permit was needed. You and I are
both guessing about this, and our guesses are of equal validity.

Have a nice day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to
me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have
*needed* a
permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is
required
for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a
permanent foundation.

I think in principle I needed a permit for the shed.

But I also think installing a rather tiny shed (it's definitely less
than 100 sq feet and has no permanent foundation) in accordance with
setback requirements yet having no permit is a much smaller deal than
putting in a new driveway.

I'm pretty sure the new driveway violates setback requirements, but I
can't find the setback requirements themselves. Seems like in most
localities the side setback for a driveway is 5 ft. In this case, the
setback is 0 feet.

====================

Got a telephone? Call the down and ASK about the setback requirements.
Numerous people in this newsgroup have said that their town's permit offices
were totally helpful in terms of sharing information.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"woger151" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, there is definitely some hypocrisy involved here. However, he
still has a vaild concern. Putting up a shed that's in a backyard,
hidden from view, conforming to all codes, etc is different than
someone putting up a carport/garage/driveway that is visible from the
street. And it could have an impact on his property value.

I also don't think it's incumbent upon him to go figure out what the
neighbor is doing and IF it conforms to code. First, he doesn't know
what the guy is building. Should he wait until it's all up, complete
with roof, then the ultimate result is the neighbor has to tear it
down? That's worse for everyone. Second, without being a code
professional and having inspected it, he can't tell how it's built,
whether it conforms to codes, etc.

If it were me, I'd send an anonymous letter to the code officials.
When you undertake doing something like this you know going in the
risk you run is getting caught one way or another. And you do it
because you want to save a few bucks, cut corners, or you don't think
it will be approved and that is more important than the neighbors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

I'm a live and let live sort of guy. If you don't want to buy 100
acres and put you house smack in the middle of it then you need to be
tolerant of others.

Here a shed over 100 sq ft requires a permit. Also here the setbacks
do not apply to driveways, only to structures. I think that's pretty
common. My driveway is about 3' from the property line.

So for my 2c, no don't rat the guy out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have *needed* a
permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is required
for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a
permanent foundation.

Need permits for everything where I live, but they aren't enforced. My
condo put in an enclosure for dumpster but not for recycling bins.
Higher than code, but got permission. Looks like a toilet stall with
recycling bins standing next to it. Supposed to match the structure,
but it doesn't.

As for the OP, if a neighbor across the street was putting in a
carport/crapport, I'd be inclined to complain. No mention of size,
property lines, views, etc. All can impact the neighbors. A shed is a
heck of a lot easier to move or remove that a double driveway with extra
cars, mowers, trash cans, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rat the fellow out and one day someone may rat you out too.

mind your own business unless its endangering someone like if the new
structure was too close to a electric line........

if the guy gets reported he will have a ax to grind and anyone in your
neighborhood gets even a shovel out will get him calling.

so if YOU want more oversite sure report the fellow, but your about to
start a local war that involves ALL your neighbors.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2010 8:44 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:26 am,
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

If he lived in my area it is OK to install a shed up to 120 square feet
without a permit and that isn't unusual. You just need to observe
setbacks as the OP noted he did.

You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds at
what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

You sound like you jump to conclusions very easily without interpreting
the facts...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"George" wrote in message
On 6/16/2010 8:44 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:26 am,
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

What's legal in your area is irrelevant.

You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds
at
what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

You sound like you jump to conclusions very easily without interpreting
the facts...

You've obviously never lived with neighbors who have nothing better to do
than play zoning cop. They're easy to spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 9:52 am, " wrote:
rat the fellow out and one day someone may rat you out too.

Whether that happens or not is more a function of not doing things
legally than whether you report someone else. It can be done
confidentially to help avoid problems.

mind your own business unless its endangering someone like if the new
structure was too close to a electric line........

That would seem to be the point of many parts of the code. Applying
the code is the building depts job, not neighbors who don't have
access to the site or know the codes. If what the neighbor is doing
is not consistent with the look of the rest of the houses and lowers
property value, it is very much the business of everyone living
nearby.

if the guy gets reported he will have a ax to grind and anyone in your
neighborhood gets even a shovel out will get him calling.

Yeah, but then again, people who don't give a damn about their
neighbors and don't pull permits could also be the first ones to rat
others out when they see something they don't like.

so if YOU want more oversite sure report the fellow, but your about to
start a local war that involves ALL your neighbors.......

How about if a code official drives by and sees it? Then you have
the exact same thing and potential for war without anyone having
reported it. Code officials usually aren't going to say your
neighbor reported you. They will just show up, say they saw
construction, and ask about what is going on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

What comes around, goes around...

As a rule I don't call the city on any of my neighbors for anything. Even
those I despise.

I would like to call the city on a couple of people, but I figure if I start
doing that stuff, then they will return the favor...

Then that would tick me off and I would find something else to call about to
"get even". Then before you know it, all out war! I think I have better
things to do.

Same thing goes for my "nosy" lady neighbor and her wanting to tell me
gossip about the other neighbors. I call her "Gladys Kravitz". I don't want
to hear it and I have better things to do...

Posted to alt.home.repair

clipped

How about if a code official drives by and sees it? Then you have
the exact same thing and potential for war without anyone having
reported it. Code officials usually aren't going to say your
neighbor reported you. They will just show up, say they saw
construction, and ask about what is going on.

The first time I ever made a code complaint, it was about junk my
husband stored outside of our condo (in the common areas). I sure
didn't want to do it, and tried other means first (of course). Hubby is
a pack rat and neighbors were complaining. I read that one could make
anonymous complaints, so I emailed one ) Code people came by, with my
email in hand, with the email addy that only my husband would recognize.
That was the first time I got in trouble with him, not the last )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
woger151 wrote:

The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.

You're walking a fine line, and I feel your pain. But way back in junior
high, we learned that "your rights end where the other guy's nose
begins." The laws, whether you agree with them or not, are there for a
reason. Your neighbor made a choice to live in an area with zoning and
permitting laws, and he is not above those laws, period. I'd make the
call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/16/2010 9:57 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On 6/16/2010 8:44 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:26 am,
wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Not at all. Since the OP didn't state where they are then a generalized
discussion is totally relevant.

You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds
at
what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

You sound like you jump to conclusions very easily without interpreting
the facts...

You've obviously never lived with neighbors who have nothing better to do
than play zoning cop. They're easy to spot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:

You're walking a fine line, and I feel your pain. But way back in
junior high, we learned that "your rights end where the other guy's
nose begins." The laws, whether you agree with them or not, are there
for a reason. Your neighbor made a choice to live in an area with
zoning and permitting laws, and he is not above those laws, period.
I'd make the call.

Your points are well taken.

It's possible, however, that the neighbor lived there BEFORE annexation
and/or zoning and/or permitting.

That said, I live in a city in excess of 5.5 million people. We don't have
zoning or a permitting process that much interests the city. (I think they
check on building permits for buildings taller than eight stories.)

My attitude is decidedly different toward zoning and permit compliance. In
our part of the country, we tend to deal with miscreants directly.

It may be that the construction actually ENHANCES the neighborhood.

You have several options:
1. Do nothing. The legal principle involved is called "acquiescence by
silence." If you don't like the project, you are obligated to speak up at
the first opportunity. After that, your silence implies agreement.
2. Visit the neighbor. Tell him if his project ends up looking like the
entrance to a trailer park, you and your neighbors will come beat the snot
out of him.
3. Snitch the neighbor out to the nannies. You can attempt to do so
"anonymously" but you WILL be discovered (nine times out of ten for one
determined on vengence).
3. Anything other than #1 invites retaliation. Sometimes retaliation out of
all proportion. Like scorched earth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 10:12*am, wrote:
They will just show up, say they saw
construction, and ask about what is going on.

Bull****. Government bureaucrats do not know the meaning of the word
discretion.

First thing out of their mouths will be, "Joe Schmoe from across the
street, phone number XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, blew you in." They don't want to be
the bad guys.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 16, 11:19*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

*woger151 wrote:
[...]

I agree. When my neighbor fenced his yard, I was vaguely aware that
there were some rules about sight lines from driveways but I didn't
pursue it. His non-conforming fence basically runs all along my
driveway to the sidewalk. By code, it should have stopped 15 feet
short of the sidewalk. And now I see why: as I'm backing up out of
the driveway, I'm scared to death one of his kids will shoot out from
behind that fence on a tricycle or something. In retrospect there was
a darn good reason for the rule and I wish I'd spoken up earlier. -- H

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jun 16, 11:12*am, wrote:
On Jun 16, 10:12*am, wrote:

They will just show up, say they saw
construction, and ask about what is going on.

Bull****. Government bureaucrats do not know the meaning of the word
discretion.

First thing out of their mouths will be, "Joe Schmoe from across the
street, phone number XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, blew you in." They don't want to be
the bad guys.

==
How true.

Anyway, if there is a public phone somewhere...phone city hall and
give the address for the miscreant and let them sort it out.

Some neighbors just love to do things "not up to code" or be complete
assholes. I had one like that and I hated his guts as he caused
nothing but trouble for me in my enjoyment of my property. He was on
worker's compensation but always had time to work on cars (for
compensation) and constantly played loud music all day long. Then he
had the gall tell me how good my raspberries were after he reached
through the fence and stole as many as he could reach. Then came the
BBQs with his beer drinking buddies but the asshole never offered me a
bite although his frickin' smoke drifted all around our patio and
nearly choked us out. Oh, did I mention the gas lawnmower going at
seven o'clock AM on Saturday or Sunday mornings?
==

Posted to alt.home.repair

Heathcliff wrote:
snip
I agree. When my neighbor fenced his yard, I was vaguely aware that
there were some rules about sight lines from driveways but I didn't
pursue it. His non-conforming fence basically runs all along my
driveway to the sidewalk. By code, it should have stopped 15 feet
short of the sidewalk. And now I see why: as I'm backing up out of
the driveway, I'm scared to death one of his kids will shoot out from
behind that fence on a tricycle or something. In retrospect there was
a darn good reason for the rule and I wish I'd spoken up earlier. --

there's nothing preventing you from doing so now. the city would make him
remove the fence if it doesn't meet code.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 05:23:53 -0700 (PDT), woger151
wrote:

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

Walk across the street and ask the guy. No biggy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

Walk across the street and ask the guy. No biggy.

Why not just butt out? What business is it of the OP?

Jay

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jay Hanig wrote in
:

wrote:

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

Walk across the street and ask the guy. No biggy.

Why not just butt out? What business is it of the OP?

Jay

I figure that if the project doesn't affect the "complainer",and the guy
doing the project hasn't done something negative to the "complainer" in the
past,then the "complainer" should MYOB.

Instead of trying to be a busybody or "junior lawman".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to alt.home.repair

That way he'll know who ratted?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

Walk across the street and ask the guy. No biggy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 19:27:44 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

That way he'll know who ratted?

No he learns from the one person, that talks to him directly.

Sometimes in a situation, one needs to explain things in simple terms.

What I mean? Talk to the neighbor!

.. .
wrote:

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

Walk across the street and ask the guy. No biggy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/17/2010 2:57 AM, Proteus IIV wrote:

IF YOU GET ANY GUFF
SOMETHING WILL SURELY ZAP THEM [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS

reply: Turn off our caps lock, moron.

DID IT HURT YOUR EYES ANY DIMBULB ?
IF YOU CANNOT SAY ANYTHING NICE THEN SHUT THE FUGUE UP

I AM PROTEUS

You misspelled "****".
Posted to alt.home.repair

Proteus IIV wrote:

WOW HEAVEN HELP YOU AND THOSE KIDS

YOU CAN STILL GET HIM TO TRIM IT BACK TO CODE FOR THE CHILDRENS SAKE
SPECIALLY IF THEY ARE ABUNDANT IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD

I DON'T THINK THAT ANYONE DOES REPAIRS OR UPGRADES TO THEIR HOME THAT
WOULD REDUCE IT'S VALUE ON PURPOSE

THE OP OR ANYONE INCURRING ON INSPECTORS AND CODE ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
IN ANY NEIGHBORHOOD WOULD BE DOING THE OWNERS A REAL FAVOR INSTEAD

MIND THE "WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT" AND SO FORTH

KEEP IN MIND THE REAL RAT IS THE ONE WHO ENDANGERS OR HAMPERS THE
OTHERS ENJOYMENT OF HIS OT HER PROPERTY

NOT KNOWING AFOREHAND IS NO AN EXCUSE

GO ON - SAVE YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS !

IF YOU GET ANY GUFF
SOMETHING WILL SURELY ZAP THEM [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS

Keyboards fixed: $12.00 (plus shipping)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Roy Roy is offline

On Jun 17, 10:52*am, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:16:28 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I AM PROTEUS

Keyboards fixed: $12.00 (plus shipping)

Prot is a regular troll on alt.electrical.engineering, always typing
notes in upper case, with lower usefulness..

==
And he is slightly insane.
==
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I AM PROTEUS

Keyboards fixed: $12.00 (plus shipping)

Prot is a regular troll on alt.electrical.engineering, always typing
notes in upper case, with lower usefulness..

==
And he is slightly insane.
==

Oh. Okay.

Keyboards fixed: $15 (plus shipping)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 17, 11:45*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 6/17/2010 2:57 AM, Proteus IIV wrote:

IF YOU GET ANY GUFF
SOMETHING WILL SURELY ZAP THEM [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS

reply: *Turn off our caps lock, moron.

DID IT HURT YOUR EYES ANY DIMBULB ?
IF YOU CANNOT SAY ANYTHING NICE THEN SHUT THE FUGUE UP

I AM PROTEUS

You misspelled "****".

WHY THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT JAY

I AM PROTEUS
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I AM PROTEUS

Keyboards fixed: $12.00 (plus shipping)

Prot is a regular troll on alt.electrical.engineering, always typing
notes in upper case, with lower usefulness..

YOU ALWAYS HAVE A TON OF NEW FANTASIES AND ILLUSION

I AM NOT A TROLL

KEEP YOUR FILTHY DEVIOUS MULTINYM FINGERS OFF MY PROBE AND STORAGE
UNITS FREAKAZOID

I AM PROTUES