Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Permitting: rat on neighbor?

"woger151" wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:57 am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to
me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

That's a big ASSumption on your part there, Kanter. He may not have
*needed* a
permit for his shed. For example, here in Indianapolis, no permit is
required
for a structure of any type not exceeding 120 square feet and not having a
permanent foundation.

I think in principle I needed a permit for the shed.

But I also think installing a rather tiny shed (it's definitely less
than 100 sq feet and has no permanent foundation) in accordance with
setback requirements yet having no permit is a much smaller deal than
putting in a new driveway.

I'm pretty sure the new driveway violates setback requirements, but I
can't find the setback requirements themselves. Seems like in most
localities the side setback for a driveway is 5 ft. In this case, the
setback is 0 feet.

Got a telephone? Call the down and ASK about the setback requirements.
Numerous people in this newsgroup have said that their town's permit offices
were totally helpful in terms of sharing information.