Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default Permitting: rat on neighbor?

"George" wrote in message
On 6/16/2010 8:44 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
On Jun 16, 8:26 am,
wrote:
wrote in message

The neighbor across the street, one house over, is installing some
kind of driveway. Kind of like a carport, but right now it looks like
it just has sides but no roof.

Definitely some earth moving going on.

My impression is that they didn't get a permit for this.

I'm a pretty live-and-let-live kind of guy, so I'd rather not rat on
him. (NB: do not know him.) Is there a reason in terms of me
protecting myself (i.e., my property value) to rat on him that could
outweigh my discomfort in doing so?

County here is pretty strict about permitting. I put in a shed (HD
Big Max Jr) and never got it permitted, though I did read up on the
regs about offsets. Somehow this other operation seems like a bigger
deal.

Why don't you read up on the regs for your neighbor's project, and if it
looks like he's doing it right, then mind your own business?- Hide
quoted
text -

Hard to do. The publicly available info clearly states they need a
permit, but that's more because of legal issues. (Driveways intersect
the county right-of-way; the county wants to keep tabs on significant
improvements for property value tracking; etc.)

In terms of "substance" (engineering, etc), looks like the main code
is ICC or whatever, which isn't online for free.
============

Well, it was OK for you to install your shed without a permit. Seems to
me
your neighbor should be allowed to break the law juse like you did, you
hypocrite.

If he lived in my area it is OK to install a shed up to 120 square feet
without a permit and that isn't unusual. You just need to observe setbacks
as the OP noted he did.

What's legal in your area is irrelevant.

You sound like an old fart who spends his days peeking through the blinds
at
what other people are doing. Get a hobby. Get a life.

You sound like you jump to conclusions very easily without interpreting
the facts...

You've obviously never lived with neighbors who have nothing better to do
than play zoning cop. They're easy to spot.