Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Permitting: rat on neighbor?

On Jun 17, 11:45*am, Jay Hanig wrote:
On 6/17/2010 2:57 AM, Proteus IIV wrote:

IF YOU GET ANY GUFF
SOMETHING WILL SURELY ZAP THEM [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS

reply: *Turn off our caps lock, moron.

DID IT HURT YOUR EYES ANY DIMBULB ?
IF YOU CANNOT SAY ANYTHING NICE THEN SHUT THE FUGUE UP

I AM PROTEUS

You misspelled "****".

WHY THANK YOU FOR POINTING THAT OUT JAY

I AM PROTEUS
Posted to alt.home.repair

I hope anyone who rats out a neighbor unnecessarily gets everything
they richly deserve!

Its one thing if the no permit work is a obvious hazard, but far
different if its not a hazard or other major problem........
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Joe Carthy wrote:

Jay Hanig wrote in
:

On 6/17/2010 2:57 AM, Proteus IIV wrote:

IF YOU GET ANY GUFF
SOMETHING WILL SURELY ZAP THEM [;-)]

I AM PROTEUS

reply: Turn off our caps lock, moron.

DID IT HURT YOUR EYES ANY DIMBULB ?
IF YOU CANNOT SAY ANYTHING NICE THEN SHUT THE FUGUE UP

I AM PROTEUS

You misspelled "****".

Is this group now a spelling bee? geesh, get a real life.

Nah, but you at least expect people to be semi-literate. Especially
if they are so intent on calling attention to themselves they write in
all caps.
The word usage is more at issue anyway. Although it does seem to
have some relevance afterall: A pathological amnesiac condition during
which one is apparently conscious of one's actions but has no
recollection of them after returning to a normal state. This condition,
usually resulting from severe mental stress, may persist for as long as
several months.

and name it after the IRS.
Robert Bakker, paleontologist
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 12:57:31 -0700, "Jon Danniken"

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 11:16:28 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

I AM PROTEUS

Keyboards fixed: $12.00 (plus shipping)

Prot is a regular troll on alt.electrical.engineering, always typing
notes in upper case, with lower usefulness..

It's not that hard to recognize a troll, the only question remaining is why
so many continue to feed them.

Dunno, why are you? Hint: "PROTEUS IIV"'s real name is "Roy". He's an
electrician in NYC.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message news:zu-dnf1-

stuff snipped

I read that one could make
anonymous complaints, so I emailed one ) Code people came by, with my
email in hand, with the email addy that only my husband would recognize.

Yes, the only way to make sure it's truly anonymous is to use a neighbor's
name. just kidding

While they may not be around forever, there's always the mailbox. But karma
is karma and ratting out your neighbor could turn around and bite you. I've
lived in neighborhood war zones and peaceful, shady ones. I like the latter.
A lot. That means "live and let live" most times unless Jeff Dauhmer just
moved in and there's a real bad smell in the air. Then, you "gotta drop the
dime." Boy is that slang obsolete!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Jun 16, 10:12 am, wrote:
They will just show up, say they saw
construction, and ask about what is going on.

Bull****. Government bureaucrats do not know the meaning of the word
discretion.

First thing out of their mouths will be, "Joe Schmoe from across the
street, phone number XXX-YYY-ZZZZ, blew you in." They don't want to be
the bad guys.

You got that right. They'll even point your way if you're standing outside.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
-

stuff snipped

That doesn't say that he needed a permit. It doesn't even say that he

thought
he did. All it says is that he took the time to read up on the regs -- so

the
only conclusion possible from that statement is that he thought he

*might*.

Point Miller. That was my take on it. Maybe, maybe not, but not enough
info to be sure. Service!

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bill" wrote in message

stuff snipped

Same thing goes for my "nosy" lady neighbor and her wanting to tell me
gossip about the other neighbors. I call her "Gladys Kravitz". I don't

want
to hear it and I have better things to do...

You're showing your (our!) age with a Bewitched reference. Even older: Let
he who is without sin make the first zoning complaint.

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Heathcliff" wrote in message

stuff snipped

I agree. When my neighbor fenced his yard, I was vaguely aware that
there were some rules about sight lines from driveways but I didn't
pursue it. His non-conforming fence basically runs all along my
driveway to the sidewalk. By code, it should have stopped 15 feet
short of the sidewalk. And now I see why: as I'm backing up out of
the driveway, I'm scared to death one of his kids will shoot out from
behind that fence on a tricycle or something. In retrospect there was
a darn good reason for the rule and I wish I'd spoken up earlier. -- H

As a guy whom the very hand of God stopped me from backing over a little
girl on a pink a tricycle under very similar circumstances, I would consider
sending in an anonymous letter. Your issue is clearly a case of public
safety because as you've said, you've got to be able to see to be sure. In
my case - something - I can't say what, made me suddenly brake only to see
the image of a little girl appearing from behind my car. She was never
visible to me until that moment. Since then I've cut down all the shrubs in
the front right of way and try to back in the driveway whenever possible so
I don't have to back into the street butt first.

It's a very weird feeling to know you've just gotten a pass on what could
have been the worst thing in quite a few people's lives. Drop the dime.
You've got a much better reason than the the OP to see a change made. There
isn't a time I back down the driveway without seeing her in my mind and
thinking about how my life would have changed had I not decided to suddenly
stop.

Cyclists under age 16 accounted for 24% of all cyclists killed in 2002.
(Insurance Institute for Highway Saftey)

--
Bobby G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Green wrote:
wrote in message news:zu-dnf1-

stuff snipped

I read that one could make
anonymous complaints, so I emailed one ) Code people came by, with my
email in hand, with the email addy that only my husband would recognize.

Yes, the only way to make sure it's truly anonymous is to use a neighbor's
name. just kidding

While they may not be around forever, there's always the mailbox. But karma
is karma and ratting out your neighbor could turn around and bite you. I've
lived in neighborhood war zones and peaceful, shady ones. I like the latter.
A lot. That means "live and let live" most times unless Jeff Dauhmer just
moved in and there's a real bad smell in the air. Then, you "gotta drop the
dime." Boy is that slang obsolete!

--
Bobby G.

My hope in making the complaint was to stop neighbors from complaining
about my husband's junk, for his sake as well as mine...he is the
supreme pack rat, and currently has one of those inflatable "garages"
piled in a heap next to the hedge in a concealed corner of the
yard....Making the code complaint seemed the best way to convince him
that people were bothered, after I had mentioned it to him a few times.

There has been very serious retaliation against some in our condo who
pressed for correction of serious maintenance issues or code issues
while there were board members in very serious arrears in mo.
maintenance payments. Sad fact was that most owners ****ed and moaned
about their own "issues" and ignored the standard, decent way of going
about addressing concerns that were good for everyone. One owner
remodeled without a building permit...had an architect draw up plans and
submit to board. Removed walls. The architect said that because of the
removal of that wall, an intersecting wall in the unit below would have
to be reinforced; I don't believe that was ever done. The owner doing
the remodeling did his own electrical work, put screws through the side
of the microwave he installed, severed the duct for exhaust fan from
kitchen in unit below. Heaven knows what else he did, but he doubled
his money and moved on just before the real estate crash. He later got
a contractor license and advertises for kitchen remodeling )

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 25, 4:17*am, "Robert Green" wrote:

Don't worry. I can remember when a local coin phone call cost 5 cents
and I think the coke machine did also? And people would rock and/or
tip it to get a free one!

Occasionally wonder if we should start a collection of these
'expressions' and 'slang terms' ................ hard to think of them
cold. But quite often, probably in my case a sign of age; they come to
mind or pop into conversation!

Let's see:

From the UK. "Spending a penny" .............. meaning going into a
public convenience to use the toilet which then cost exactly one
British penny, one twelfth of a shilling or one 240th of a UK pound.

"A month of Sundays" ........................... meaning very slowly
or never!

"Would you believe .......................... ", meaning; not really.

Lots more; but right now can't think of them! :-)