Posted to alt.home.repair

Default It it OK to kave a pressure tank a LONG way from the pressure switch

I have a pressure tank in my garage which is, of course, connected to a tee
with the gauge and switch located very close to it. I would like to leave
the gauge & switch where they are but extend the 1" line going to the tank
about 70 feet. This would allow me to place the tank under my house in an
area where the "crawl" is about 9 feet high.

Is there any reason not to have the pressure tank so far from the switch?

I would also like to insulate the tank so it will not sweat during our hot,
very humid summers. What would be the best material for this? I do not
want to harbor mold so I would like to keep air from getting between the
insulation and the tank.

Many thanks for any help.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

For Sch 40, dP (psi)/100-ft vs flow rate is
1" 1-1/4"
1 0.05
2 0.2 0.04
3 0.3 0.09
4 0.5 0.15
5 0.8 0.22
6 1.2 0.3
8 2.0 0.5
10 3.0 0.8
15 6.4 1.6
20 11.0 2.8

Oh, first column is flow rate (gpm) of 60F water at 100 psi inlet pressure.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have a pressure tank in my garage which is, of course, connected to a tee
with the gauge and switch located very close to it. I would like to leave
the gauge & switch where they are but extend the 1" line going to the tank
about 70 feet. This would allow me to place the tank under my house in
an
area where the "crawl" is about 9 feet high.

I would suggest you run tubing back to the pressure switch.

Since it's easier to run wire than tubing, you might just re-locate the
pressure switch at the tank. You can "do the math" and run the
appropriately sized wire, or you can just place a "contactor" at the pump or
near the well head such that the pressure switch would only operate the
contactor (a fraction of an amp) rather than the pump (10 to 20 amps.)

It's best to have the pressure switch on a separate connection to the tank.
If you have to use a "T" then use a "T" on the outlet side of the pump.
When no water is being drawn it will read true pressure. If water is being
drawn it will tend to "see" a lower pressure which will cause the pump to
come on a bit sooner.

Is there any reason not to have the pressure tank so far from the switch?

In industrial plants, pressure sensors are often connected to
"instrumentation" tubes. The tubes are run to the process being monitored.

I would also like to insulate the tank so it will not sweat during our
hot,
very humid summers. What would be the best material for this? I do not
want to harbor mold so I would like to keep air from getting between the
insulation and the tank.

You would have to find some way of spraying insultation onto the tank. Any
place where moist air can find it's way to the tank will cause local
condensation.

Many thanks for any help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What does the pressure tank do? Why is it there? Can you just take it
out? What happens if it you remove the tank? Connected to what type of
pipe? Accomplishing what, at present?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Stormin Mormon wrote:
What does the pressure tank do? Why is it there? Can you just take it
out? What happens if it you remove the tank? Connected to what type of
pipe? Accomplishing what, at present?

Better to keep quiet and perhaps be thought stupid than to speak and remove all
doubt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The pump cannot run continuously because (1) it requires cooling via the
water flowing through it and we're not using water all the time, and (2)
We're not rich enough to pay the elec bill.

Thus the pump must be on a pressure switch. When we use water the pressure
in the line drops and the pump kicks on. Without a pressure tank, the pump
would turn on & within a second the pressure would go up enough to turn it
off. A secone later the pressure would drop enough to turn it on again.
Rapid cycling will destroy the pump.

The pressure tank allows a good bit of water to be used before the pressure
drops enough to turn the pump on. Then it stays on long enough to refill
the tank. The bigger the tank, the less frequently it cycles.

On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 07:59:19 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

What does the pressure tank do? Why is it there? Can you just take it
out? What happens if it you remove the tank? Connected to what type of
pipe? Accomplishing what, at present?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Now we're getting some where. You're talking about some kind of
pressure tank, for a pumped water system? Now, is this a residence,
business, camper, remote fire fighting operation, or what? Sure helps
if you provide more complete information.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote:

What does the pressure tank do? Why is it there? Can you just take it
out? What happens if it you remove the tank? Connected to what type
of
pipe? Accomplishing what, at present?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It appears that you failed to notice the reply from Bob F

Thanks for the several good answers given.