Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default It it OK to kave a pressure tank a LONG way from the pressure switch

wrote:
I have a pressure tank in my garage which is, of course, connected to
a tee with the gauge and switch located very close to it. I would
like to leave the gauge & switch where they are but extend the 1"
line going to the tank about 70 feet. This would allow me to place
the tank under my house in an area where the "crawl" is about 9 feet
high.

Is there any reason not to have the pressure tank so far from the
switch?

I would also like to insulate the tank so it will not sweat during
our hot, very humid summers. What would be the best material for
this? I do not want to harbor mold so I would like to keep air from
getting between the insulation and the tank.

Many thanks for any help.

I would imagine that you could end up with the switch cycleing of-on-off at the
end of a cycle because the presure at the pump drops after the pump turns off
because water pressure is higher at the pump switch than at the tank until the
pump turns off. Then the pressure drops to the tank pressure. Larger pipe to the
tank, larger on/off pressure difference, or a separate small pipe back from the
tank to the switch could alleviate this possibility. This is all hypothetical. I
haven't done it.