Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Well pressure tank

This is my wife and I's first home. We are on a well and recently we
had a lot of rain in the area. During the raining one day the power
went out. Since then our pressure tank has gone from 20psi to 40psi.
It is also cycling often. Flushing the toilet can trigger the well
pump. I've tried shutting off the put, adding air. Not sure if I've
done it correctly as there are so many different explanations on how
to remedy this. HELP!!!!!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Apr 29, 5:56 am, wrote:
This is my wife and I's first home. We are on a well and recently we
had a lot of rain in the area. During the raining one day the power
went out. Since then our pressure tank has gone from 20psi to 40psi.
It is also cycling often. Flushing the toilet can trigger the well
pump. I've tried shutting off the put, adding air. Not sure if I've
done it correctly as there are so many different explanations on how
to remedy this. HELP!!!!!

There is only one right way if you have a bladder tank.
1. Shut off pump
2. Drain tank (just turn on a tap that is located as low as possible
in the house.
3. Close tap, add air to 2psi below the cut in (18 psi). Some
bladder tanks have a sticker saying to add air to the cut-in
pressure. If so you would add 20psi.

It sounds like your system is set for cutin 20, cut out 40. That is a
setting that is used but it is not optimum. 30/50 is a better
setting. Sprinklers will run much better. The adjustment is simple
on most pressure switches.

If you have an old non-bladder tank about all you can do is drain the
tank letting air work its way back in. That can be a slow process.

I can't understand how the power outage could have caused the
problem. Maybe you just noticed it now and has been happening prior.

Harry K

Water Storage Tank - Plumbing the Pump & Pressure Tank Scott Townsend Home Repair 13 September 28th 15 05:17 AM
Well pressure tank leaking..... Nozaki Home Repair 2 April 17th 06 07:03 AM
Pressure tank Mike Home Repair 9 March 26th 05 07:36 PM
Help sizing a pressure tank Ed in Florida Home Repair 8 April 7th 04 11:12 PM
Home water tank water tank pressure not right, do I need a new tank? Gary Slusser Home Repair 2 August 11th 03 04:45 AM