Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default It it OK to kave a pressure tank a LONG way from the pressureswitch

Bob F wrote:

... leave the gauge & switch where they are but extend the 1"
line going to the tank about 70 feet...

I would imagine that you could end up with the switch cycling of-on-off at the
end of a cycle ...
... Larger pipe to the tank, larger on/off pressure difference, or
a separate small pipe back from the tank to the switch could alleviate
this possibility. This is all hypothetical. I haven't done it.

I haven't, either, but 70-ft of 1" didn't seem out of sight for a
pressure drop but I'd surely agree larger would be make for less.

Well, let's just go look at Crane handbook...

For Sch 40, dP (psi)/100-ft vs flow rate is
1" 1-1/4"
1 0.05
2 0.2 0.04
3 0.3 0.09
4 0.5 0.15
5 0.8 0.22
6 1.2 0.3
8 2.0 0.5
10 3.0 0.8
15 6.4 1.6
20 11.0 2.8

Assuming plastic instead of steel will be somewhat less; I don't have
data at hand to show just how much. A 70-ft run instead of 100 is
probably about a wash when add a fitting/elbow or two.

Unless he has a sizable well capacity, it would seem the 1" would
probably be enough but certainly the reduction in losses by going up to
1-1/4" are sizable. Amazing what a little r-square can do when r1
isn't it???