Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

Default Freezer question, your experience.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:33:39 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:20:17 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

We need to buy a freezer. The *chest* type is what we want with the lid on
the top.

Why do people prefer chest freezers? Uprights take up less floor
space (you can't stack stuff on top of your chest freezer), and
with a moderately full freezer, you have remove a bunch of stuff
to get what you're looking for - even if you can find it at all.

How may times have we heard the comment "Found xyz in my chest
freezer. I think it's nnn years old.". And then possibly "is it
still good?"

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

Just how this impacts on electricity usage in the real world, I don't
know. *If* it does at all...

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

I currently have a chest freezer, but am considering an upright as a
future replacement.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

In article , Jeßus wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

Jeßus wrote:

-snip-

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

Just how this impacts on electricity usage in the real world, I don't
know. *If* it does at all...

I suspect I've lost more $ with the chest freezers I've owned through
lost food than I have through the 'air dump' of the uprights.
[minimized by keeping the freezer full- even if it is just jugs of ice
or bread.]

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

My neighbor wasn't that big-- but a few minutes with my electric
chainsaw & he fit in my upright just fine.g

I currently have a chest freezer, but am considering an upright as a
future replacement.

I've owned both & prefer the upright for most use. If I was buying a
whole cow every year I might consider a dedicated 'beef freezer'.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:19:56 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

Take out the shelves and stand them upright.

Ever try and stuff a rigor mortis'ed body into a chest freezer?

-sw
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:48:30 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In article , Jeßus wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

-sw

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs
nothing?

BTW, there's no such thing as "non-pressurized air". The air you're breathing
right now has a pressure of 1 atmosphere, equal to about 14.7 pounds per
square inch.
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs
nothing?

BTW, there's no such thing as "non-pressurized air". The air you're breathing
right now has a pressure of 1 atmosphere, equal to about 14.7 pounds per
square inch.

jeez, no wonder i'm wheezing. i thought it was the cigarettes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs
nothing?

Yes. All my scales currently read "0". Yet sitting on top of
them are billions of cubic feet of air.

OK, So I had to look it. I don't know the logic behind it, but 1
cubic foot of air at standard temperature and pressure assuming
average composition weighs approximately 0.0807 lbs.

So to understand your comment, one would have to know the weight
of 0F (approximately) air and then convert that to cubic feet to
get any sort of sense what the **** you actually mean.

Anybody know that off the top of their head? (Some dumbass will
of course look it up, post it, and claim they knew it. but this
is Usenet - **** like that is a given).

-sw
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
[...]

lol

https://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs
nothing?

Yes. All my scales currently read "0". Yet sitting on top of
them are billions of cubic feet of air.

Let us know when you own a scale that has 5 sides in a vacuum and
just the measuring part exposed to air.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 20:01:52 -0400, Larry wrote:
AZ Nomad wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:17:29 -0400, wrote:

Doug Miller wrote:

In , wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:48:30 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In , Je?us

wrote:

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

That isn't really true -- at most, one or two pounds of cold air escapes and
is replaced with warm air. That has almost zero effect on the temperature
inside.

How does non-pressurized air have weight?

The same way anything else has weight. Did you really think that air weighs
nothing?

BTW, there's no such thing as "non-pressurized air". The air you're breathing
right now has a pressure of 1 atmosphere, equal to about 14.7 pounds per
square inch.

My ATV tires take 3 psi yet they don't collapse! Read up on atmospheric
pressure.

It's 3PSI above atmospheric presure, dumbass.

At sea level, moron?

You can't possibly be that stupid. It's an act, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Sorry Larry. I don't know you if anybody asks.

-sw
Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 06:52:48 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Jeßus wrote:

-snip-

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

Just how this impacts on electricity usage in the real world, I don't
know. *If* it does at all...

I suspect I've lost more $ with the chest freezers I've owned through
lost food than I have through the 'air dump' of the uprights.
[minimized by keeping the freezer full- even if it is just jugs of ice
or bread.]

That is true, a lot of stuff tends to stay buried at the bottom - if
you're not vigilant.

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

My neighbor wasn't that big-- but a few minutes with my electric
chainsaw & he fit in my upright just fine.g

You chopped up your freezer with a chainsaw?!?

I currently have a chest freezer, but am considering an upright as a
future replacement.

I've owned both & prefer the upright for most use. If I was buying a
whole cow every year I might consider a dedicated 'beef freezer'.

Yeah, I'm going for an upright next time, but keeping the old chest
freezer for emergencies... or for the larger neighbours.

Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 08:05:09 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 13:19:56 +1000, Jeßus wrote:

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

Take out the shelves and stand them upright.

Ever try and stuff a rigor mortis'ed body into a chest freezer?

I'd wait until the rigor passed, or maybe brine them in the bathtub
instead?