Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Freezer question, your experience.

"john hamilton" wrote in message
We need to buy a freezer. The *chest* type is what we want with the lid on
the top.

'Which' magazine recommends the Miele GT263 and for a hundred pounds less
the Zanussi ZFC 321 which comes in at £260.

The Miela has this feature which is suppose to expel the air inside, after
the lid is closed. With less air trapped the theory is that it will not
need defrosting as often as normal.

Knowing that its just not easy to get an airtight seal, the suspicion is
that it might draw the air out but; it will creep back in again anyway.

Would anyone with experience of the Miele freezer know if its worth paying
the extra £100 for this 'de-frost' feature. In other words does it work
as a means of cutting out defrosting? Thanks for any advice.

Well maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this often, that fridges 'grab
the door' when you go to shut them, and then you hear the rubber being
sucked tight. So I wouldn't be surprised to find this was a general
featu though undoubtedly more important in an upright than a chest
freezer - where the cold air is just going to sit there unless you stir it
about - presumably why ice cream shop ones have sliding tops.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 22:58:19 +0100, spamlet wrote:

Well maybe it's just me, but I have noticed this often, that fridges
'grab the door' when you go to shut them, and then you hear the rubber
being sucked tight.

Can't say I have ever noticed any "grabing the door" at least not
until the magnetic seal has contacted the frame. They do pull in
then, it's the warm air, that's been let in, cooling down and
contracting. Noticeable on a fridge but with freezer in can be quite
hard to open the door for a few tens of seconds after you have closed
it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-06-02, john hamilton wrote:

Thanks to all. Its a bit confusing for me when one poster says get the Miele
because they are built to last twenty years and worth paying the extra for.

Do this one.

Then another says, buy the cheapest because none of them are built to last.

But not this.

The person who says buy the cheapest because none of them are built to
last has clearly never owned a Miele. ;-)