Posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_2_] Jeßus[_2_] is offline

Default Freezer question, your experience.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:33:39 -0500, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010 17:20:17 +0100, john hamilton wrote:

We need to buy a freezer. The *chest* type is what we want with the lid on
the top.

Why do people prefer chest freezers? Uprights take up less floor
space (you can't stack stuff on top of your chest freezer), and
with a moderately full freezer, you have remove a bunch of stuff
to get what you're looking for - even if you can find it at all.

How may times have we heard the comment "Found xyz in my chest
freezer. I think it's nnn years old.". And then possibly "is it
still good?"

Both types have pros and cons - I've always been under the impression
that the upright types allow a lot of coldness to 'escape' when the
door is open compared to chest freezers.

Just how this impacts on electricity usage in the real world, I don't
know. *If* it does at all...

The big downside with chest freezers you've already mentioned
OTOH, if you have a need to put something large in a freezer (the
neighbours body... or whatever) - then the chest freezer would be
ideal.

I currently have a chest freezer, but am considering an upright as a
future replacement.