Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Post Pulling away from Deck. Pics.

Hi,

I attached some photos. Looking for some advice on
how to deal with this. I'm thinking of nailing in an L bracket or two
into the right angle of the post and the diagonal 2 x 4 you can see in
the pics. Also maybe nail a straight metal strap horizontally across
the post, the 2 boards, and the rafter.

One of the supporting posts is leaning away from the deck, and a gap
is opening up. I already have nailed in the sheet metal connectors
underneath, can't think of their correct name, to hold the outer end
of the deck to the rafters, so it will not ( I hope) lean out any
more.

The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.

The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck
yet.

Could it be that the rafter is warping or shrinking also, and pulling
back from the post ?

By the way, there is no railing on the side of the deck because there
was a privacy fence there, which recently blew off completely.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941850/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941848/

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's hard to tell from the photos exactly what is warped/twisted.

2 of the photos seem to show that the interior rim joist is twisted,
but it may just be because the post is pulling it out.

You might try adding a temporary post under that corner to take some
weight of the post and then use a come-along to try and wrench the
post and rim joist back into place.

http://www.perfectaline.com/jet%20come-along.jpg

As I said, it's hard to tell exactly what's twisted, and forcing the
rim joist back into place may simply transfer the stresses to some
other location along the structure.

I certainly don't think you need a new deck, but it make make sense to
replace the rim joists and posts if they are twisted so far out of
shape that you can't get them back to where they belong without
causing other problems.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"utilitarian" wrote in message
[...]

UGH! Whoever built that, has absolutely no support/beams or otherwise,
holding up the deck. The only thing holding the deck up, is the
nails/screws from the outside rim board into the joist band. What a
horrible design, I'm surprised it passed inspection, if there were one.

Just off hand, b/4 working under that one, I would want additional
temporary support. Reason being, is to keep from getting killed.

I would imagine you could carriage bolt a double beam affixed to the posts
(I could go into detail, how to make this a simpler solution than what it
may sound). You would have to modify your diagonal bracing to accept the
double 2x8 beam.

Since the front rim board is this poorly attached, I would also be
concerned about the rim board affixed to the structure. Also a concern
would be if the structure rim is properly flashed/sealed.

Good luck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 12:48*pm, utilitarian wrote:
[...]

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold
it up for a few more years. The biggest problem is no solid
connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look
half big enough in diameter or length.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 3:10*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

half big enough in diameter or length.- Hide quoted text -

I'm not fond of that engineering either. You need to push that post
back towards the house. Then I'd put a carrage bolt through the
center and both those 2x10's or whatever they are. As well as a steel
plate across the side with lag bolts into the post and carrage bolts
into that outside 2x10..

Not sure how to move the post though. A comealong if you can find
something to attach the other end to. Or maybe a truck bumper :-)
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

utilitarian wrote:

I attached some photos. Looking for some advice on
how to deal with this. I'm thinking of nailing in an L bracket or two
into the right angle of the post and the diagonal 2 x 4 you can see in
the pics. Also maybe nail a straight metal strap horizontally across
the post, the 2 boards, and the rafter.

You need a whole lot more beef than that...

As a couple of others already said you need some serious support _after_
you get the thing moved back into place.

Also, you need to

a) not let anybody or anything on it until it is repaired, and
b) get some solid bracing underneath to ensure it doesn't come down
while you're trying to work on it.

That side joist needs to have the nails cut off so it can be moved back
into alignment vertically. Then, the outer rim needs brought back in to
where it was. At that point, a plate as somebody else suggested or an
outer joist can be added and fastened thru the post or lagged w/ minimum
3/8" fasteners.

For aesthetics, rather than running another joist underneath as somebody
said for the support I'd probably get another 6x and make a ledger of it
endways about 18" long or so bolted thru the post to let the deck set
on. That should then be securely tied to the rim and thru-bolted w/
steel plate.

Agree w/ the assessment of the likely weakness of construction at the
house end as well. I'd surely assess that.

If you're not confident you can tell what's adequate and what's not, I'd
suggest getting a structural opinion.

As is, this is a serious accident about to happen...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 2:10*pm, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

Larger nails wouldn't have helped. Nails into end grain won't resist
the forces pulling this thing apart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
[...]

How in world it passed the code when built. Foundation of posts are in
question. As far as I am concerned, this is a safety issue. I would not
step onto that deck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stubby" wrote in message

The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.

The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck

. . .
UGH! Whoever built that, has absolutely no support/beams or otherwise,
holding up the deck. The only thing holding the deck up, is the
nails/screws from the outside rim board into the joist band. What a
horrible design, I'm surprised it passed inspection, if there were one.

Joist hangers (nowadays required by building codes) will not
correct the warping but will help stabilize what is there now.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I hate to repeat gloom and doom but stay off of it. A deck came off
of a house a few miles from here about two years ago. It killed a
couple of folks and injured others. In addition to the post, it looks
like one corner might be pulling from the house.

That said, I suspect you might want to think about taking it down. If
not, brace it up and start planning to put a properly designed beam
UNDER the joists not attached to the end of the deck. Don't screw
around with this this. The people who were killed in the local
accident were under the deck.

RonB
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Stubby" wrote in message

The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.

The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck

. . .
UGH! Whoever built that, has absolutely no support/beams or otherwise,
holding up the deck. The only thing holding the deck up, is the
nails/screws from the outside rim board into the joist band. What a
horrible design, I'm surprised it passed inspection, if there were one.

Joist hangers (nowadays required by building codes) will not
correct the warping but will help stabilize what is there now.

Joist hangers won't do a bit of good with what the OP has going on. The
outside joist rim board, is "nailed/screwed" to a ledger, which the posts
are notched to accept. The only thing holding that deck up, is the
"nails/screws" fastened through the "post ledger" to the outside joist/rim
board. The proof is, the deck _ALREADY_ has joist hangers, front & rear.
Look for yourself.

The deck is a disaster, waiting to happen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

For aesthetics, rather than running another joist underneath as somebody
said for the support I'd probably get another 6x and make a ledger of it
endways about 18" long or so bolted thru the post to let the deck set
on. That should then be securely tied to the rim and thru-bolted w/
steel plate.

Thinking some more, I think I'd stick w/ the idea but notch it to fit
the existing joists and extend below a ways. Can cut the bottom at
45-degree angle for the aesthetics was talking about.

That done, you've got it to bolt thru from both directions to tie
corners together as well as the solid rest for the outer joist to be
supported on.

Same thing could be done structurally w/ a 4" or greater angle
vertically on the inner corner; just easier working w/ the wood for
average homeowner-type.

Again, one would guess that there's nothing holding the inner corners
together, either other than either toenailed or facenailed as that end
shows it is so need similar fixup there as well...

Also, can't re-emphasize to much the need for shoring this puppy up in a
hurry and securely before even thinking about working under it. There
have been accidents around here as well from such death traps so it
ain't no joke...

If you can't get to that immediately, at least rope it off so nobody can
wander around under it, especially any of your or the neighbors' kids.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jun 2, 12:48*pm, utilitarian wrote:

snip

* The deck is 23 years old. *Don't want to pay for a brand new deck
yet.

snip

That leaves you with just one option: tear it down ASAP. Your photos
show an appallingly jerry-built structure, one that will expose you to
serious legal problems should the inevitable accident occur. This
needed to be done years ago and common sense says, do it now!

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

RonB wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:48 pm, wrote:
[...]

If they were building a deck like that w/o beam which is supported by
properly footed post down to frost line with concrete, I'd put a stop to
it. I just don't understand how could they get away with it? Do
they build like that down South across border? I hope not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

utilitarian wrote:
[...]

(Sorry, accidentally sent directly to OP instead of posting.)

If the deck surface and joists themselves are sound, you can salvage
most of the deck. A post at each corner, maybe a foot in, and a couple
of properly sized beams UNDER the joists to catch the weight. You can
then lose the current posts and front structure. Reuse any straight
pieces of timber from current post structure to pretty up or add
diagonal braces or whatever. Tie the whole mess together with the
appropriate bits of metal from Simpson, or similar, so it doesn't move
around or get picked up by wind gusts.

I'm old-fashioned- a joist that long should be held by more than
end-nails and a joist hanger. Everyone else talked about the posts- I'd
be just as worried about all that weight barely tied to the ledger board
on house. A second floor deck, ledger board should mainly be to tie deck
to house, so it doesn't feel like a boat at a dock when you step onto
it. It should also have standoffs or at least proper flashing, so it
does not keep the siding and wall wet behind it. Any stains on interior
behind where ledger board is?

Don't hold any parties on the deck till you get a competent carpenter
(at least) to look at it. Take a lot of photos and measurements, and the
deck guy at the Borg DIY project desk can probably run it through the
computer program they use to spec out bundles of deck materials.

I just took a closer look at pictures- the exposed joists and deck board
ends look pretty sad. Before I spent any money, I'd do the icepick test
on the boards, anywhere I could reach. If they are mushy, I vote with
the tear it down and start over people.

Don't feel bad- my deck is also in sad shape, but it is only 30 inches
off the grass, so it won't kill anyone.

--
aem sends...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 2, 8:07*pm, Joe wrote:
On Jun 2, 12:48*pm, utilitarian wrote:

snip
* The deck is 23 years old. *Don't want to pay for a brand new deck
yet.
snip

That leaves you with just one option: tear it down ASAP. Your photos
show an appallingly jerry-built structure, one that will expose you to
serious legal problems should the inevitable accident occur. This
needed to be done years ago and common sense says, do it now!

Joe

I agree...

That deck was built so poorly that the entire section of railing on
one
side "blew down"... If the railing blew off and is supposed to be
able
to take weight when someone leans on it I shudder to think how
under-sized the fasteners are holding it together...

Nails are not meant to hold major structural members together, that
is what plates, angle iron and carriage bolts or lag screws are for...
Nails and decking screws are not designed or intended to hold the
main support beams and joists together all alone... That is why joist
hangers exist to provide nailing from two planes... But nails or
screws
alone on the structure won't hold... That is what looks like is
happening here -- one post looks to be settling and it is torquing the
main support away from the deck because there aren't any true
fasteners holding it together...

Tear down this deck and build a properly structured one which isn't
ready to fly apart...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

To the others here, the nails that are showing, going into the end of
the side rail, ...Should they have been put in at different, opposite
angles, so it would have been harder for them to come out????

Someone showed me to do that once, and I often do, but I don't know
all the places it's a good idea.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:48:21 -0700 (PDT), utilitarian wrote:
Hi, I attached some photos. Looking for some advice on
how to deal with this. I'm thinking of nailing in an L bracket or two
into the right angle of the post and the diagonal 2 x 4 you can see in
the pics.

Off hand, I don't understand the purpose of that one idea. I think
the diagonal is only there to keep the deck square.

In picture 3, it looks like the deck has gone down relative to the
post. Is your deck still level?

If not, buy or rent a jack -- I forget what they're called but they
have a big removeable handle, or the use a steel rod as a handle, that
will screw them longer and lift up, or at least hold up your deck,
while you do remove that post, lift up the deck, and reattach the post
or a new non-warped one.

You can also add a thrid post permanently, between the two there now.
Would that be in the way?

And/or, you could put a post on the side you are showing, half or a
third of the way back from front corner. But make sure it's long
enough to lift the deck up to horizontal if the deck is sloped. And
allow for the post sinking further into the ground (I don't know how
one does that. (My deck that is 30 inches high had some posts resting
on cinderblocks. I don't think that's right but that's how it came,
and since no one walks under a 30" deck, at least they're not in the
way. And I can fall only 30 inches at most.)

Also maybe nail a straight metal strap horizontally across
the post, the 2 boards, and the rafter.

I don't have much experience but screws seem a lot better than nails.
When the force is right, the nails will just pull out, a little bit at
a time but you won't be able to stop it. Maybe nails that are put in
pointing towards the gap in the wood will be more resistant to that.

One of the supporting posts is leaning away from the deck, and a gap
is opening up. I already have nailed in the sheet metal connectors
underneath, can't think of their correct name, to hold the outer end

The one with 40 or 60 sharp bent tabs? That's not enough for this,
but wasn't a bad idea for a little temporary help.

of the deck to the rafters, so it will not ( I hope) lean out any
more.
The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.
The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck
yet.
Could it be that the rafter is warping or shrinking also, and pulling
back from the post ?

Again very little experience, but I thought wood didn't shrink
linearly. Measure it and see if it a standard length. Many things
are build with full 8- or 10 or whatever foot long 2x8's or whatever,
whatever the standard lengths actually are.

Compare it with the other side which I gather is not having this
problem.

By the way, there is no railing on the side of the deck because there
was a privacy fence there, which recently blew off completely.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941850/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941848/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Also needs a couple posts along the wall of the house. Not much
holding the deck, at the house side.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold
it up for a few more years. The biggest problem is no solid
connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look
half big enough in diameter or length.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 3, 12:47*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:10:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold
it up for a few more years. *The biggest problem is no solid
connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look
half big enough in diameter or length.

Should those nails into the end of the side beam have been put in at
opposing angles, so it would have been much harder for them to come
out????

No, that won't help (enough). Any fasteners into end grain will pull
out easily.

Someone showed me to do that once, and I often do, and it works well,
but I don't know all the places it's a good idea.

Another more of a guess: Should the inside joist rim board have been
nailed on first? * *and then the second one, the outside joist rim
board, nailed to it in more places than just the side beam?

That helps, but steel hangars should have been used also. This is a
accident waiting to happen. Since you know it, it's a certain
liability. Replace it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

.

"hr(bob) " wrote in message

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold
it up for a few more years. *The biggest problem is no solid
connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look
half big enough in diameter or length.

Since none of us know what structure is hidden inside the exterior
wall of the house, nor how the ledger board holding that end of the
deck is attached to the wall, saying it needs posts under it is
pointless...

Odds are it is not adequately supported given the general
appearance and condition of the rest of the deck... But to
say that without actually having proper pictures or looking
at it to see the conditions is bogus...

That deck is unsafe as built and either needs extensive repairs
or a complete tear down and redo to make it safe...

~~ Evan
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 10:42:25 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

That deck is unsafe as built and either needs extensive repairs
or a complete tear down and redo to make it safe...

I agree. I would even board up the exit door unto the deck to keep
people off of it for now.

Fix it now or fix it when the house is sold.
Posted to alt.home.repair

OK, I got some free time and was able to read all the responses. Wow.
I'm not literate about what a joist is versus a beam, etc, but I was
able to understand quite a bit. Thanks for the ideas. I was a little
dismayed by the high quantity of gloom and doom posters who took over
the thread, although I do appreciate the concern for safety.

I did have a licensed and insured carpenter over yesterday to look
at the deck and give me an estimate. He never mentioned anything about
the deck being unsafe as we were talking, so I just asked him if it
looked safe to him, and he said it did look safe. He said he would
add a 3 or 4 foot piece of 2 x 10 behind the side rafter, and some
bracket there also, to shore up the gap. Also would use a modified
hanger (one side bent over flat) on the outside of the gap. He was
not concerned for his safety while he would be working on or under the
deck.

I also asked about using screws versus nails, and he said it depended
on the use. He said nails were better for installing hangers, for
instance. He said he would use nails to install the new railing on my
deck, since nails had already been used in this deck.

I want to point out that the inner and outer rims ( the 2 boards in
the notch of the post) are supported by the 45 degree angled support
piece (joist, beam?) which is connected in the corner between the post
and the deck. Hard to notice in the pics, but it is there in one of
the pics). There is a notch in the support, on which the 2 rims
rest.

About the mounting of the deck to the structure : It is not pulling
away at all back there, thank God, and it is fastened using nails and
bolts.

Interestingly, someone in my neighborhood, who had no deck previously,
just had one built, and they used the same design as mine, in that it
had only 2 posts, both in front, and no posts near the structure. They
just mounted the deck to the structure like mine.

My neighborhood is a long line of townhouse buildings, most of which
got the same deck as mine back when the development was built. As far
as I know no deck has collapsed. One guy did indeed have his deck torn
down and rebuilt , just a short while ago, so maybe he thought it was
getting unsafe, but his new deck has posts only in front, just like
mine, but i can't tell if he has the notches in the post.

Not minimizing the importance of safety, want to mention again that
the 45 degree angled piece does support the 2 rims, although it's hard
to tell from the pics.

Thanks again for the numerous responses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 6, 11:56*am, utilitarian wrote:
[...]

My preferred design is to place the 6x6's inside the 2x10 joist frame
with the 6x6 notched so that the 2x10 frame corner is on top of the
notched 6x6 ledge. I let the 6x6 extend up and also be the rail
post. Then when the deck surface is finished I wrap the outside with
2x12 set even with the deck surface. Then finish with carrage bolts
through the 2x12, 2x10, and 6x6. That provides a really solid support
as well as a rail post that is not going anywhere.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jamesgangnc/deck.jpg