Posted to alt.home.repair
keith keith is offline

Default Post Pulling away from Deck. Pics.

On Jun 3, 12:47*am, mm wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 12:10:44 -0700 (PDT), "hr(bob) "

wrote:

Several very large L-shaped brackets strategically plced ought to hold
it up for a few more years. *The biggest problem is no solid
connection between the post and the side beam, those nails don't look
half big enough in diameter or length.

Should those nails into the end of the side beam have been put in at
opposing angles, so it would have been much harder for them to come
out????

No, that won't help (enough). Any fasteners into end grain will pull
out easily.

Someone showed me to do that once, and I often do, and it works well,
but I don't know all the places it's a good idea.

Another more of a guess: Should the inside joist rim board have been
nailed on first? * *and then the second one, the outside joist rim
board, nailed to it in more places than just the side beam?

That helps, but steel hangars should have been used also. This is a
accident waiting to happen. Since you know it, it's a certain
liability. Replace it.