Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Post Pulling away from Deck. Pics.

utilitarian wrote:
Hi,

I attached some photos. Looking for some advice on
how to deal with this. I'm thinking of nailing in an L bracket or two
into the right angle of the post and the diagonal 2 x 4 you can see in
the pics. Also maybe nail a straight metal strap horizontally across
the post, the 2 boards, and the rafter.

One of the supporting posts is leaning away from the deck, and a gap
is opening up. I already have nailed in the sheet metal connectors
underneath, can't think of their correct name, to hold the outer end
of the deck to the rafters, so it will not ( I hope) lean out any
more.

The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.

The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck
yet.

Could it be that the rafter is warping or shrinking also, and pulling
back from the post ?

By the way, there is no railing on the side of the deck because there
was a privacy fence there, which recently blew off completely.

Any input appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941858/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941854/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941850/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45722991@N05/4663941848/

Hi,
How in world it passed the code when built. Foundation of posts are in
question. As far as I am concerned, this is a safety issue. I would not
step onto that deck.