Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby[_2_] Stubby[_2_] is offline

Default Post Pulling away from Deck. Pics.

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Stubby" wrote in message

The post seems to be warped somewhat, since by using a level I found
that it is leaning away from the house near the ground, but up on top,
it is actually leaning towards the house just a bit.

The deck is 23 years old. Don't want to pay for a brand new deck

. . .
UGH! Whoever built that, has absolutely no support/beams or otherwise,
holding up the deck. The only thing holding the deck up, is the
nails/screws from the outside rim board into the joist band. What a
horrible design, I'm surprised it passed inspection, if there were one.

Joist hangers (nowadays required by building codes) will not
correct the warping but will help stabilize what is there now.

Joist hangers won't do a bit of good with what the OP has going on. The
outside joist rim board, is "nailed/screwed" to a ledger, which the posts
are notched to accept. The only thing holding that deck up, is the
"nails/screws" fastened through the "post ledger" to the outside joist/rim
board. The proof is, the deck _ALREADY_ has joist hangers, front & rear.
Look for yourself.

The deck is a disaster, waiting to happen.